Disappearing

We awoke before dawn. We still needed the shadows after all.

It had been realised that this city was not our future anymore. Vayleron had served us well in our last few years, but now... Now there were eyes hungry for vengeance and too many enemies to count. We needed a true fresh start. Something that could no longer be found in this continent.

Which is exactly why we were now on our way down the wooden steps of Xerxes Inn for the last time. Of course one last visit to his quarters were needed. He had been a friend to us for far too long. We had never deserved him.

"I hear the women are tanner in Zanos." Kaden commented as we walked down the dark hallway.

"Food that taste like devil's sneeze too." John added.

I rolled my eyes. "Farmers and wives tales. We will judge for ourselves when we set foot on the sands on the continent."

"What say you, immortal?" Kaden grunted.

I looked sidelong at the demigod only to find myself snapping my gaze forward once again. Memories of that ludicrous dream slapped me in the face as soon as I saw those burning silver eyes under a black hood.

"It is a realm of harsh temperature and even harsher inhabitants." She muttered. "You will find that many in Zanos have more skill with a blade and horse than yourselves."

Kaden and John scoffed loudly in unison.

"No blade can pass my shield!" John said, suredly slapping the circular metal on his back for good measure.

"And none could touch me with blade if they have one of these through their stomach." Kaden growled as he flicked a finger against one of his broad swords adorning his mammoth back.

The Valkyrie merely shook her head with a small smile. It made a chill flash through me. If an immortal is stating the people of Zanos have skill... we had better watch whom we insult. That also meant Kaden would likely be killed upon our first day.

I rounded the final door to Xerxes' quarters and saw two mercenaries posted outside it. They dropped hands to swords on their hips and glared at our approach.

Here we go... I thought with a loud sigh.

"Hault! None pass unless requested by Xerxes." One shouted down the small hallway.

I debated dropping a nod to Kaden to teach these fools some manners, but alas we needed one last favour from our dear friend and knocking out his guards was hardly a step in a good direction.

"We are merely here to bid Xerxes farewell, if you could—"

The guard stomped towards me aggressively and drew his blade. "Did you not here me, whore. None pass!" He snarled, releasing spit into my face in the process.

My blooded flashed hot in my veins and I clenched my fists. I already heard John and Kaden take up positions aside me angrily. But somehow I managed to keep my wits. Somehow I took a breath and spoke slowly through my teeth.

"Xerxes will want to see us this morning. Unless you would like to be the one to tell him that he has missed the chance to bid his close friends farewell one. Last. Time. I suggest you do it now. Or else I may just slit your throat, cut your mouse sized balls off and feed them to you through the opening."

He stared at me with wide eyes. I could practically feel John and Kaden wanted to laugh but waiting for the moment the fool decided to retaliate. He glanced at the giant Kaden, then at the many dagger wielding John. I was sure the Valkyrie was even somewhere behind but didn't seem to care.