Four's Company

"No and no, Taya." John stated in a cold tone.

Kaden was nodding sharply in agreement with John.

"We are not letting–that... whatever in gods name join us to Vayleron. There are enough eyes on our backs as it be." He grunted and then spat on the twigged and moss covered ground. We had pulled back into the forest once more to hide ourselves from further attack and burn all the bodies.

The Valkyrie stood dutifully with her shielded back to us watching the bodies burn. It was exceedingly unnerving.

"This is not up for debate." I hissed. "If you had any ounce of what that being is cable of then you would damn well know not to make matters worse."

"Make matters worse?!" John seethed. "I have a hole in my shoulder the size of a copper piece and Kaden has all but been diced up like a leg of lamb!"

I threw my hands up to urge him to lower his voice. I was well aware of the shape we were in. We had only managed the bare treatment. With lumps of bark in our mouths we had burned the wounds closed and done what cleaning we could. But Odin knew how long it would be before infection crawled into them.

"My point exactly. We are in no shape or form to be making demands here. We should use any advantage we have to get back safely into Ravensbrooke and make sure we are well enough for travel. If that means postponing our trip to the capital then so be it." I finished.

I had the urge to cross my arms but not even that was possible with the way my forearm was wrapped.

Kaden sighed in a puff.

"She speaks true." He muttered.

John kicked at a branch before levelling his brown eyes to me. "The kings men are due to pass through town tomorrow. We return to Ravensbrooke and wait them out with..." He trailed off and didn't allow himself to finish. To be honest I didn't even think any of us quite believed it yet. "–we lie low until the very moment our injuries are well to travel and then take our gold and start ourselves a new life in Vayleron."

"She comes with us to Vayleron, John."

"Why?!" He shouted.

I saw the Valkyrie shift her stance in the corner of my vision and resisted the urge to slap him.

"Because" I hissed. "We have an immortal whom has just vowed to protect us indefinitely. You do not think we may need all the help we can get for four days ride into the most lethal city on the continent?"

"I'm not sure what I know." Kaden muttered.

"He's right. What exactly do we know, Tayah? Because I was damn well certain people could not summon a bolt of lightening into their hand like I could a sword." He growled. But the fear in his eyes spoke volumes.

I sighed. "John, I know this is an impossible situation."

Both of them snorted.

"But I'm not about to tell an immortal no. We do this now and I'm sure we can think of a way to lose her in Vayleron." I smirked at both of them. "After all, I'd say we know the city well enough."

Finally John cracked a smile. "All bets are off as soon as we cross Vayleron's walls? How very Tayah of you."

I winked at him. Kaden grinned at both of us before slapping our shoulders happily.

"OWW!"

"MORON!" We shouted in union as we nursed our wounded arms.

In the corner of my eye I saw the Valkyrie turn her head and shake it before looking back to the flames. Even an immortal saw us as a bunch of hopeless idiots. She truly must have no choice if she had been assigned guardianship over our rabble.