Awakened

"Tayah!" Kaden called from beside me.

I maintained Parsnip's speed as we galloped the worn mudded road to meet our new client.

"We near the meet point!" He finished with a hand flick ahead of us.

I dropped him a nod and brought Parsnip to a light trot. I wore protective riding leathers over my tunic and trousers. My cloak sat atop it and finally my new sword sat across my back. It's weight was a perfect balance just as I asked of Arno. It was finished a day early allowing me to bring it to our final job before we left for Vayleron. I could never fault that man's ability. It gleamed beautifully when outside of it's black leather sheath and the handle was a finely woven network of leather and steel ridges.

John trotted up on my left.

"What is your take on this esteemed employer?" He asked wryly.

"There was not much to take." I stated. "He was plain in appearance. Nothing of great value furnishing his clothing, no weapons or concealed as far as I saw. He was only adamant that we keep this meeting covert and out of view." I finished.

John frowned slightly before gazing out ahead at the tree line distrustfully. "Sounds completely legitimate." He dripped sarcasm.

I rolled my eyes and looked back at him. "This is not a common thief, John. I had the pleasure of meeting a few of those recently." I grumbled.

"How recently?" Kaden asked in surprise.

"Recently enough that I still have to use John's healing salve on my shoulder." I growled.

"They landed a blow? By the gods Tayah, taking wounds from mere thieves... how tragic." He drawled with a lazy grin.

I did not have the chance to return his dangerous words because a lone rider emerged from the trees. We all pulled our horses to a stop.

The winds howled loudly across the open fields we stood on. The clouds continued to churn above us in threatening greys. Maybe Kaden had been right about the possible storm today.

"You have my thanks for meeting in such strange circumstances!" The man called to us. He brought his horse forward slowly. I rolled my shoulders slightly before walking Parnsip towards him. We were but meters out from the dense forest now.

"It is no trouble." I returned to the man. "Perhaps you would like to discuss our task?"

I stopped before him and took in his simple tunic and light brown hair. He looked nothing more than a commoner if I was honest. I had hesitations that he could even pay. But as if reading my mind the man's brown eyes crinkled and he retrieved a sack clinking it obviously. 

I nodded in acceptance and waited for more.

John and Kaden dropped in to my sides and watched dutifully at the trees ahead for dangers. The man that was possibly nearing his fortieth winter looked completely at ease surrounded by three killers.

"It is a shame we meet on such dire conditions." He remarked, flicking his eyes up to the skies. I stifled a groan and tightened my grip on the reins. I was not here for small talk and I did not like sitting out in the open like this for longer than necessary.

"I would suggest getting to the point swiftly. We do not favour extending our time to anyone longer than necessary." I said curtly to him.

He raised his brows in shock. "Of course! My apologies. My wife tends to say the same of my rambling!" He said with a chuckle.

Kaden levelled him with a dark look and cracked his neck intently.

The man swallowed in response and hurried to gather his reins. "In short I have some cargo of value that currently approaches Ravensbrooke. We sustained some attack from thieves already in the forest but the men I did hire managed to keep them at bay. We do not have enough to last another attack. I need you to finish the escort just to ensure we make it to Ravensbrooke." He finished in a rush. "There is one hundred silvers for you once we are safely inside the walls of Ravensbrooke." His eyes darted across all three of us waiting for a response.