After the Dust Settles

"Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end,

if not always in the way we expect."

- J. K Rowling

Existence is a humorous concept. Before it there is no concept of time or feeling or awareness. By definition, you are dead until you are suddenly thrown into life. This may follow the same cycle when you meet your end once more. What is the use in fearing something you have experienced before. It is like revisiting an old dormant friend and being made new again.

The reason thoughts like this swirled my mind in less than a fraction of a blink, was because I had no recollection of what me really is at present. I possessed a command of language, functioning thoughts to construe ideas yes—but no recollection of anything existing past this present moment, this current existence.

Blackness claimed me until it unclaimed me. My surroundings were alien as were the features around me. This was not abnormal because I had no concept of normal...

I should probably be panicked but no such emotion filled me.

Shards of floating crystals bounced a multitude of lights around misty clouds. I cast my eyes down to the floor of intricate carvings and similar crystal. I decided it was beautiful.

I reached my hand down to touch it but stopped when I noticed my attire. Closely fitting black tunic with silver seams, spun into detail. I stroked the smooth material.

My eyes also noted the ankle-high boots tucked into yet more of the smooth material of tailored trouser with—

A bolt of white caught my attention before me. In a flash a figure appeared cloaked in charcoal with deep red locks flowing to one side of a beautiful face. Her armour was a sight to behold as it glimmered from every opportunity from her shoulder pauldrons to her gauntlets as she swaggered forth.

"Judging by the sheer confusion painting your face, I would deem you new to this realm." The stunning girl uttered dryly.

"I... have no memory to answer you." I told her slowly, drawing my brows together.

"Yet another surprise." She drawled sarcastically as she strode confidently forward and held a hand forth. Her eyes were a bright and shining silver, much like stars. "You may call me Maelyss." She waited for something, with that outstretched, armoured hand—"try clasping it with a shake. Unless you have other plans for me." She winked.

The encounter was quite curious. I looked down at her hand again and slowly gripped her hand more towards the wrist and thumb than palm as I think she was going for, but her laugh sang through the air soon enough.

"By the wryd you are as green as a fallen hoof at first joust ..." her eyes lit up as they darted between my own in amusement, "it's been many star rotations... more. Until you earn your immortal name I am referring to you as Fallenhoof. No one shall mistake your position." She grinned as she slapped my shoulder with a few sparks causing me to flinch and her to laugh more.

"You must grow used to a little spark, Fallenhoof. It's a way by greeting." She grinned as she swung an arm over my shoulder and walked us forth down the crystal pathway.

"Greeting?" I repeated.

"But of course. Fire a hand of spark and you will be well on your way to fast friendship." She promised with nothing believable on her features. Interesting.