Realms & Wrongs

"Tell me about her." Revna insisted as she plucked a grape off of the platter before the fire.

I glared at her and took a longer drink.

"Oh come, Kára." She sighed as she tossed her long black hair to her other cloaked shoulder. "You speak with me, not Odin."

"All the more reason to say nothing at all." I grumbled.

"She must have had an impact..." She prodded with a sly look in those silver irises.

"She had an impact on the floor when I dropped her to it not many slithers ago." I said nonchalant.

Revna snickered and snatched a handful of grapes. She threw one at me and my head snapped to her with death promised.

"Tell me."

"Lower your ammunition and I may not drag your energy from you like wine from a skin." I growled.

She let out a loud laugh and tipped her head over the arm of the plush chair. I watched her in exasperation before grabbing the platter of fruits and sending it skidding across the polished wood floor.

A few Valkyries dodged it before a hand swept it up like it was on purpose and continued in animated conversation. Fair enough.

"You will get me another." She declared with a wave, taking her eyes off the space her food had disappeared.

"Ask better questions and you may receive a better response." I said simply.

This time Revna's expression lost it's humour and she drew up in the chair. "She meant a great deal to you did she not." It wasn't spoken like a question. I grit my teeth harshly to avoid the embarrassment of letting on just how much that was. "–my sorrow is with you, Kára. I know it is not easy letting go of the person you grew to know well."

"Made all the worse that I have to dwell on the same realm as the one who remembers nothing." I got out between my set jaw. I pushed the drink away and watched the flames instead.

I could feel Revna watch me but she said nothing. She knew nothing could be said to make the situation better. She would not insult me by telling me she knew how I felt because the words were useless and a lie. It was one of the many reasons we got along so well.
We did not waste each others time.

"What is all that commotion?" I heard her mutter as she craned her neck to look into the crowds.

I had not noticed the intensity and volume increase tenfold, I had been too lost in the golds and reds of the flames. But now they yanked me from my thoughts and filled me with mild irritation. I cast my eyes in the direction of shouts and jeering in what seemed to be an altercation breaking out.

I sighed. "Perhaps it is time I left you."

Revna met my own eyes and dropped me an understanding nod. "I shall fill you in on any riveting stories that come from the nonsense of egotistical buffoons."

I gave her a half smile and opened my mouth but before I could get out a word a body crashed into the small table between our seats and sent drinks flying. I dismissed the spray of ale with a raised hand and it became steam in a blink. The Valkyrie groaned and shook her head from the impact. She looked around the destroyed table and beverages, then shot us both an apologetic look.

"You have my apologies–"

"Take your apologies with you swiftly." I said with heavy implication.

The brown haired immortal recognised me soon enough and nodded rapidly before lunging upwards and jogging back into the crowd dripping with ale.

"Honestly, I'd expect this from mortals but Valkyries..." I trailed off with disgust painting my face. I rose swiftly and drew my hood over my head. I had no plan for where I went, only for it to be away from here.