≽p a r t n i n e

Colby sat in his art class, painting his assignment. He dipped his brush into the paint again, painting a thin line on it. He stared at it for a moment.. He tilted his head, deciding whether or not it needed work.

Colby glanced around at everyone else. Though he was working on something else, Swift came up to him.

"Colby," Swift said, patting him on the back, jumping onto the table, "how are you today?"

"I'm doing better," he replied, making sure his sleeve was covering his wrists. He only ever showed Sam his scars, and Sam didn't care.. But the other guys, he couldn't trust, yet.

"That's amazing!" Swift replied, glancing at Colby's painting. "Hey! Maybe you should take a break from that and we can talk. I haven't gotten to talk to you yet."

Colby sucked in a breath, nodding. He placed the brush on the napkin and the paint next to it. He jumped onto the table next to Swift, glancing at the fellow man.

"So tell me," he started, resting his head on his hand, "what are your opinions of Sam, the leader."

This struck the brunette to a surprise. He stared at his feet, clicking them together, "H-he's alright.."

Swift smiled slightly, nudging Colby, "Tell me," he insisted, "it'll stay between us. I can promise you that. Tell me!!"

Colby chuckled slightly, replying with, "Alright. As long it stays between us."

The fellow man nodded, staring at the brunette, "Spill.. Do you like Sam?"

"In what way?"

"You know... Boyfriend way?"

A rosy tint crept onto Colby's cheeks. He couldn't even admit to himself that he had feelings for Sam. Would he admit it to Swift? One of his friends.

"Do you?" Swift pressed on, trying to get the brunette to talk.

"I, uh..." Colby hesitated. Yes, he did really like Colby. His actions over the recent weekend made him realise, but he still hadn't admitted to himself.

Maybe telling someone would help me realise my feelings,  he thought, his face giving off a faraway look.

He glanced to his left to see Swift, waiting patiently. "Come on.."

Finally, Colby said, "Yeah... I would say I have a crush on him.." A strong blush crept on the punk's face. He buried his face in his hands, embarrassed.

"I knew it!" Squealed Swift, "I knew you liked him!" Colby punched him in the arm, blushing wildly.

"Shut up!" He laughed, sitting up straight again.

Swift chuckled. "I knew something was sparking between you two when the warehouse incident happened," he commented, "you two would be a cute couple!"

"Except.." The brunette started, "I doubt a popular kid would date a punk like me.. Also I doubt he even likes me in that way.."

The other guy stayed silent, as if he was disagreeing in a way. Colby sighed, jumping down off the table.

"Just... Talk to the guy," Swift spoke up, jumping off the table. "I am sure he'll come around." He patted Colby on the back, walking off.

Come around, the words stuck in his mind, what does he mean? Colby turned back to his painting, but he wasn't full there. His mind kept letting him think about Sam and Swift's words. He picked up the paint board, beginning to finish the painting.

**

Colby sat in his.. Fifth period. Band. His technical last period if you're not counting his free period after this. He was polishing his instrument, tilting his head slightly. He was thirty minutes early due to his teacher sending him there after work; not even the teacher was there yet. The brunette then heard a knock on the door.

His blue eyes glanced up. Rising to his feet, Colby walked to the door to open it. Upon opening it, Sam stood in the doorway.

"You're rather early." Commented Colby in a sarcastic tone.

"I was sent here by my teacher," the blonde replied, walking into the band room, "I didn't want to come here...."

The brunette nodding, starting to walk back to his seat, hearing, "But.. I'm kinda glad I did.."