Time to end this

CHAPTER 34 -  TIME TO END THIS

JAKE'S POV

"Do you have everything?" I asked.

Olivia chuckled. "That's the third time you ask."

"I know. I just want to be sure." I pointed out, rechecking my suitcase for the fourth time. Just in case. We did travel a lot within two months. I'd have taken her outside the country, but ... one condition of my early release was that I shouldn't leave the country until the 5 years have passed. I can go from one US State to the other, but I can't even cross the border with Mexico. Not for another 2 years.

It doesn't really make sense to me, because if I wanted to disappear, I can assure you the whole freaking United States of America would be sufficient, but my uncle's lawyers thought it was a smart move. Opposed to no leaving Boston for any reason at all, it is a good deal, I guess.

"Mmh ... you don't seem too eager to go back." She mentioned, squinting her eyes, the way she does when she's suspicious.

"What makes you think that?" She may not be Silvia, but Olivia is pretty good at understanding me, too. She did meet me when I was someone else, after all.

She met me when there still was an ounce of the old Jake Watson left inside me. She met me when I still held onto hope, because my mom was still alive, and she was somewhat responding to cures. I could hope.

Olivia walked over to me, and, with her sweet lovely smile, she wrapped her arms around my torso. "You keep on delaying."

I half smiled and cupped her cheeks, gluing our bodies closer to hide the fact that she was right. "Maybe I just like being alone with you. Like old times."

Her cheeks tinged a little pink, but she didn't giggle as she used to. I like the fact that I was able to give her back an inkling of who she was back in the day, though. Before life decided to mess with her.

"We've been on the road for two months now, Jake. Don't you think it's enough?" Olivia argued, yet without pulling back.

I stroked her cheeks with my thumbs, leaning in enough for our noses to nuzzle each other. "I just want to make sure you're alright." And that your ex husband has lost track of you enough not to come chase you once we're back to Boston. He doesn't have my means, hell, he doesn't have many means, so that should help us.

"You mean you want to make sure Walter doesn't come after me." Olivia pointed out.

I half smiled. She is a smart one, obvious. "If he comes after you, Liv, then he's way more stupid than I thought." But you know, these kinds of men are indeed as stupid as ape shits.

Olivia cracked a small smile, and took a closer refuge in my arms, leaving her head on my chest. "There's no one and nothing that can hurt me as long as you're with me. I know that."

I suppose I've engrained that certainty in her head years ago, every time I repeated, over and over again, that her bullies would not dare touch her anymore. Until I was around, until they knew they had to face me if they dared touch her, nobody would hurt her.

***

18 years old JAKE's POV

I slowed down, checking my beats. Still fast as hell. I shouldn't have troubles at the next race, even with the broken rib. Definitely I shouldn't have jumped off that cliff the other week, but ... oh, well. It wasn't that high after all. The feeling of flying was more interesting, whatever doctors may say.

As I walked back home, I noticed a small group of kids just around the corner before my house. They were gathered around something, but I couldn't tell what was it exactly. I would have thought they'd found a dead squirrel or something, but I heard shouts and cries.