A difficult decision

I had to make a difficult decision. These days I've been thinking and thinking, and...I've come to terms with it.

I'm Here to Fix You ends here.

Or rather, this book (which is 2 in 1) ends here.

The thing is, I feel like I'm running out of ideas, and I don't want to go back to that place again, where I have to rewrite the story (it would be the FOURTH time) just because I don't feel it. I feel this story, it's come out way better than I'd ever expected, if I say so myself. And it did because I left the mic, or rather, the keyboard, to the characters. I let them guide me, say what they had to. I played with this story, I loved, simply loooved toying with the fourth wall, as I'm sure you noticed I've started doing more often.

I love Jake and I love Silvia. That's why I want to make them justice. To explain my decision, I need to give you a little spoiler here: see where last chapter ended? That could be, no, will be, the beginning of a whole new book. I wanna make a whole arc for them, but to do that, I think I need a little break from them.

That's why I'm Here to Fix You ends here. Yet it doesn't, not truly. I'm gonna mark the book as complete, yes. Am I gonna stop writing about Jake and Silvia? Maybe. For a few weeks or months, but then I'll get back to them, for the new book.

You see, at this point, the fulcrum of the story would be Silvia trying to remember Jake.  I feel like it could be good material for a whole book, I don't wanna rush it to wrap it up in 2-4 chapters. I wanna make something meaningful of this. Heck, I wanna make Jake and Silvia memorable.

I know, I'm conceited lol definitely getting ahead of myself, but... I wanna try. I've been writing this story for almost a year now, and I've seen Jake come to life, in my head as well as on the screen. I've felt these characters as never before. I mean yes, I feel each and every single one of my characters, but...be it that this is the third rewrite, I feel Jake and Silvia more. Much more. Lol it's like I hear Jake in my head all the time. And it's bananas, I know, but that's a writer's life. You have these "people" constantly babbling in your head, bugging you, because they want their story to be told. I've never felt this sort of thing as much as I felt it with Jake. And Silvia, yes, but especially Jake.

He is the most complicated character I've ever written about. Before doing the third rewrite, I actually made him the protagonist of a thriller story I have been writing, the one I plan to be my Italian debut. I'm not gonna give away spoilers, just picture Jake as a detective lol

Anyways, the point is, I see these characters. I feel them. I live them. So I can't just rush the end like this. I've done the word count, you know? It's enough to fill 579 Word pages. 579 Word pages in paperback means like...over 1000. That's basically not one, not 2, but three books at least. I'd rather stop here for now other than simply water it until I get bored, you get bored, everybody gets bored.

Don't despair, though, like I said, Jake and Silvia's arc doesn't really end here. Here's the general idea:

Book 1: I'm Here to Fix You. First part of this book, not sure whether until they get together or not, but definitely wider than it is here (which includes more Ryan, yes...sorry)

Book 2: their struggles with their pasts ... here's the thing, I left out the majority of those things, but you see, these characters have deeply, very deeply rooted issues, and it would feel useless to just say they have these issues, yet never talk about them or rather, never face them. I may have left it out (purposely, because I needed a time jump not to bore myself and you), but the first 4 months of their relationship and also the other 4 until the cheating, cover them helping each other fight their issues. That means therapy sessions, long talks, even aggressive moments...in short, real life people stuff. You can't just say a character has depression yet don't talk about it, you can't say he has suicidal thoughts and heavy nightmares, yet barely mention them. So...I would make a whole new book about them dealing with this stuff. Of course, I would add other things, I mean, it's Jake lol nothing is ever too simple with this guy xD

Book 3: the whole Sokolov arc plus coma...until the last chapter you read; even as I wrote it I felt like I made too little of Jake being in prison, there's a lot of material there

Book 4: Take Me Home. This one has a title already. Why? Because fenia87 made me think of it, and now I realize it fits so perfectly well. Take Me Home as in, let me remember you. It's that book I mentioned above, about Silvia trying to recollect her memories about Jake (and about the rest, of course). Amnesia made of her a whole new person, it would be interesting to see how that storyline develops, and if she's ever going back to what she was or not.

Now, of course, all these books are gonna be like, 200 pages each. That's because the genre commands to be short. The longest books I've ever read are fantasy, even thriller novels barely ever go past 400 pages, and I doubt a romance book that is over 200-250 pages would interest anyone (even though this book isn't truly romance, or not just romance, but that's just my style, as you may have noticed). Or maybe yes, who knows. It could be that I'll just weave the first two books together, then the other two, or book two and three go together, who knows. The point I'm trying to make, which I hope you've already realized, is...I'm Here to Fix You is going on Amazon!

LOL

To be honest, this is the first book I thought I'd pitch to an actual editor, I even submitted it to Wattpad's Talent Scouts (not sure if you're familiar with the profile) on top of submitting it to Wattys now. I received an offer a few months ago, a site that wanted to buy the story. It was a site like Inkitt, more or less, but I couldn't have published anywhere else, so I refused. Also the whole "selling" the story didn't convince me. I'm very much possessive when it comes to my characters lol and as a member of that world (I'm a translator, my Master's is in Textual Competences for Publishing), I know that selling the story and selling the copyrights isn't exactly the same thing. 

Basically one thing means that you get paid once and that's it, they can do whatever they want with your story, the other means that your "rent" your rights, and you get royalties. This just to explain why did I refuse. It's not about money, it's about intellectual property for me. Jake is mine lol and Silvia's, of course xD

Either way, I don't feel like waiting.

So...brace yourself. Once I've done some editing, cutting here, adding things there (adding smut...maybe), polishing this and that, I'm Here to Fix You will be published (e-book and paperback), and it will probably be before Roommates with Benefits. Why? Well, mostly because this one needs way less work than that one, so I can be quicker.

Roommates with Benefits will come out by the end of August 2018, by the way. I'm Here to Fix You might come out by the end of July 2018. I wanted it to be the end of June, but I doubt I can edit everything I need to in a week, and I don't want to do a sloppy job.

So...stay tuned, paperback will get here soon, and it might help you endure the long long long cliffhanger you have ahead.

stay tuned, paperback will get here soon, and it might help you endure the long long long cliffhanger you have ahead

p.s. If you know anyone that is good at making videos, it would be really appreciated. I wouldn't be too much against the idea of a book trailer, but I'm really crap when it comes to video making.