A decent human being

You know what, I think it's not even going to be a full book, I guess I'll see when I publish

Ah, by the way, beware of spoilers here lol

BOOK 4 - CHAPTER 2

A WHILE AGO

"Are you sure it's a good idea?" The doctor eyed me carefully. "It's already quite a high dosage."

"I can take it." I told him, confident.

"Silvia ..."

"I can take it. Really."

"We could always try new ways ..."

"Like what?" I snapped. "Go back in time and avoid it all from happening? Well, if you have a time machine you haven't told me about, then let's go. Otherwise just give me the medicines."

He sighed, writing something down. "I shouldn't have prescribed them in the first place ... you're getting addicted."

"I'm not."

"Silvia ... you just snapped at me for not complying. That's drug addict's withdrawal symptoms 101."

I rolled my eyes. "What is it with you Americans and your obsession with drugs? It's a medicine. You of all people should know."

Dr. Martinez arched an eyebrow at me. "An answer to that statement would require a lot more time, which I don't have right now. So let's just give you the meds, and we'll see what happens." He finally handed me the receipt, but before I could grab it, he withdrew his hand. "On one condition, though," he said, dead serious, "at the first sign of problems, be it even only a feeble headache, you immediately cease taking them, and call me."

"I'll be fine." I waved him off. It's not like it's this big of a deal. I just asked for stronger antidepressant pills, what's the problem with that? I can handle it. The old ones were like candies.

"Silvia ..." Dr. Martinez warned, furrowing his brows.

I snatched the receipt from his hands, and stood. "Fine ... at the first sign of a problem I'll call you."

***

A FEW MONTHS LATER

"You need to stop. Right now." Dr. Martinez spat, as angry as I've never seen him. Normally he's this very posed and kind middle-aged man, but right now he seemed really pissed.

"I'm fine."

"You don't get it, Silvia," he slipped the meter out of my arm, "your blood pressure is unstable. It's too high."

"Well, you gave me pills for that, didn't you?"

"They're not working, the antidepressants simply are too strong." He sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "If you keep this up, you're going to suffer heavy consequences."

"Like what?" I arched an eyebrow at him.

"Nosebleeds, for starters. You already say you have headaches."

"Yes, but that's a previous condition ... I've been having headaches now and then since I was 14, you know that."

"Yes, but this could be related." He sighed. "It could be the first sign you're developing a form of hypertension."

"Well, it's not that bad ... I know people that serenely live their life with-"

"You're not listening, Silvia." Dr. Martinez snapped, his gaze genuinely concerned yet also mad. "Headaches, nosebleeds, dizziness, short breath ... these are all symptoms of hypertension, and they usually lead to a hypertension emergency. The kind of emergency that may bring to organ failure, and therefore kill you."