The best choice

CHAPTER 47 - THE BEST CHOICE

JAKE'S POV

"David what?" I asked, confused. "Trey, you're ranting, I can't understand shit of what you're saying. Slow down." When did I sign up to be my friends' babysitter too? Then again, it was better than waiting endlessly for my sister to get a move. She's dragging me to this inane opera, I bet out of spite. She knows I hate this sort of thing, hell, I'm a movie type, opera bores the hell out of me. She should have taken Silvia, not me.

Speaking of Silvia, I wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I thought I'd give her time to digest the whole Olivia drama, but ... I don't know, last time I insisted, she broke my nose. It's been over a week, though. Sigh, I seriously know nothing about relationships. The only ones I've had were immature things as a teen. With Cynthia it was all about sex, with Olivia I never even wanted to acknowledge it was indeed a relationship.

Times like this, I can only cross my fingers and hope for the best. I signed up for a life beside the most complicated, stubborn woman I've ever known, of course it's going to be hard. We're both strong-headed, we're going to fight a lot, she's right, so I guess the key is stepping back when needed. This time it's my turn, since I was the one to screw up in the first place. I guess I just need to wait and see.

"Who's David? And what does he have to do with my girlfriend?!" Trey sounded angry more than upset. He can be such a child, sometimes, he drops a toy when he's tired of playing with it, then he expects it to still be there when he wants it back.

I frowned. "First of all, Tess is not your girlfriend anymore. Second of all, what makes you think I have the slightest intention of getting involved in your bullshit?"

"You're my friend!"

"Yeah, that doesn't mean I gotta get involved. Besides, Tess is my friend too and, let's be honest, Trey, you're a shitty boyfriend."

"But I love her ..." he whined.

I rolled my eyes. "Take it from me, loving her isn't enough if you're not willing to pour all yourself into the relationship." I sighed. "And sometimes even that doesn't suffice." Especially not if you lie to your girlfriend and she's the type of woman that takes no bullshit from anyone.

Trey heaved a deep, frustrated sigh. "Of course, you too against me ... that chick's brainwashed you, man. You haven't been the same ever since you met Silvia."

I half smiled, not at all irked by the remark. "Maybe. But who said that's a bad thing?"

He scoffed. "You're whipped."

"So are you."

"Yeah, but I'm not letting a chick change me."

I rolled my eyes. "First of all, Silvia isn't changing me. She makes me better just by being with me." I know, I know, you're all there cooing like over-emotional little girls on their period, I see you. So predictable.

"Second of all, you've already changed for Tess, buddy. You cut down your nights out, you got yourself a real job other than keep on living on your father's fund ... you seem to have turned on a more responsible route."

"That's just because the old man wouldn't quit breathing on my neck because I'm almost 30 and all that shit." Trey grumbled, which made me smile. It's so him to deny the evident truth.

"Sure, whatever you say, man ..." I stood when Serene called from her bedroom to tell me to go open the door. "Listen, I gotta go now, it's ... you know, big brother time. We'll talk when I get back, but ... Trey, if I were you, I'd just get Tess out of my head."