Snake Eyes {28}

“No,” I said softly. “No second chance. You hurt me too badly for me to just forgive you.”

                I pulled my hand away from his and shoved my hands into my pockets, not meeting Maxx’s eyes anymore. “Stop trying. It’s not going to happen.”

                I turned and hurried away from Maxx before he said something to make me change my mind. I bit my lip once I was safely away from him.

                I slid down against the lockers, pulling my knees up to my chest and resting my forehead on them. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly, just trying to focus on breathing so I wouldn’t have a breakdown at school.

                Maybe it’s all for the best, but I just don’t see any good in this, no. Maybe we’ll find something better. But the lovers that leave us will always hold a place.

                I got to my feet and made my way to class, my heart aching. Had I made a mistake by not taking Maxx back? He really did seem sorry. But how could I trust him after what he had done to me? What if this was all part of his game too?

                Lunch came around and Shaw and I went outside. We froze when we saw Chandler sitting there, his eyes on his iPod as he flicked through songs.

                “Why isn’t he with Maxx?” Shaw hissed, pulling me so that Chandler wouldn’t spot us when he looked up.

                “They got in a fight,” I said and quickly explained what had happened this morning.

                Shaw’s face paled and he wrapped his arms around me. “You didn’t tell me you rejected the cheating asshole!” he said.

                “I didn’t want to talk about it,” I mumbled, hugging him back and resting my head on his shoulder, squeezing my eyes shut and trying to block out the memory.

                “Hey, calm down Marky. You did the right thing. I promise. He was only going to hurt you,” Shaw said gently, rubbing my back and hugging me tighter.

                We stood like that for a little while before I pulled away from Shaw. “Let’s eat. We can just ignore Chandler,” I said quietly.

                Shaw nodded and wrapped an arm around my waist. We walked over to our usual table and sat down at it. Chandler shot me a dirty look.

                “Why are you shooting Mark a dirty look? What the hell did Mark ever do to you?” Shaw demanded furiously.

                Chandler pulled his headphones out, still glaring at me. “He changed Maxx,” he snarled, hate and fury coloring his words.

                “You love him, don’t you?” I asked quietly.

                Chandler barked a laugh. “Me? Love Maxx? Never. He’s my best friend. Or, he was, until you changed him. But a friend is all I want to be with Maxx.”

                “Didn’t seem like it when I walked in on you two,” I pointed out.

                Chandler shrugged. “Fine, friends with benefits. That’s all I want. That’s all he wants. Maxx can’t be in a long term relationship. It’s not who he is, and you were stupid for thinking he actually loved you,” he growled.

                “And yet you’re the one who’s sitting out here alone,” Shaw said, raising an eyebrow at Chandler.

                Chandler scowled. “Shut the fuck up,” he grumbled, turning his attention back to his music. Shaw smirked triumphantly and stuck a French fry in his mouth.