ch. 4

"No idea of what?"

He scoffed. Of course she didn't. "This is an assessment dinner to see if you are fit enough to be their female Don."

"Female Don?"

"Female leader. My wife."

A look of confusion spread on her face. "Why do I need to be assessed to be your wife?"

He sighed. This was bound to happen. Sooner or later he was bound to give her an explanation. "Remember when I gave you an option to walk away when I told about my indulgence with the Mafia?"

She nodded.

"Remember what I said to you after you refused? I said you were mine forever. What ever it is I will tell you today might make you want to leave but know that won't be possible." He kept his voice low but audible.

She licked her lips getting nervous. "What is it Roman?"

"We have to abide by certain rules in the Mafia. Aside the Don there must be a female leader. Some even call her the Donna. She's more like his strength, meaning she herself has to be strong." He could almost see her chest move in sync with her heart beat. When she didn't ask any questions he continued.

"Three years after the Don finds his strength he is expected to bring her to the family for the elders to access her and make sure she is fit to help him run the family.

"Who are the elders?"

"The elders are the second most important people in the family. They are made up of eighteen men. Eight of which come from the particular family the present Don of the mafia was picked, which is the Don, any other seven. Again two each from nine of the the strongest and most powerful families in the country. Finally, is the previous Don. Before the Don takes any decision he needs to bring it before the elders. No females."

"Doesn't that make them as strong as the Don if he needs their approval before taking any decision?" She asked, getting interested in the conversation.

"He only consults them. The final decision is his to make." He could see the look of frustration in her eyes. It was all too much to take in at once but she needed to know. "What will they make me do?"

He licked his lips. "I don't know." He answered honestly. "But pay close attention to omertà. It's a code of secrecy." With that he stood from his position and walked to the bathroom to take a shower.

Also she needed to think. Being in the mafia was a lot serious than what was read in the story books.

Roman knew the rules of the game before he started the family again. Maybe Monica was right. He could run but he would never be able to hide. He was bound to show his family to the rest soon.

Nikki changed into her night wear and got into bed. She knew this was going to happen from the day he told her who he really was.

Scared? Definitely. She wondered what they were going to make her do? Was she going to have to........kill?

That was it. That was who her husband and his family were. They were killers. She didn't like the thought but that was the truth.

Was she scared of him though? No. Never. No matter who Roman was, he loved his family. He would never harm she or their son. She could trust him with a gun in his hand, pointed at her head. He wouldn't pull the god damn trigger.

Then there was his family. She had never met any of them except his aunty and parents. They were nice but in the dark...........

She had seen her husband at work once. One word. Bloody. She got freaked out for three days.