ch. 32

The street was not busy as earlier, that didn't mean it was quiet and 'peaceful'. Far from it actually. Even if the whether changed back to the sunny state it was half an hour ago or the birds chirped a little lower, the obvious couldn't be hidden. The loudness of his thoughts and the sad expression on his face, even as he forced a smile was still eminent.

"So what's your story?" She asked after a long minute of studying him. He looked lost, even as she gained his attention.

"Your smile doesn't reach your eyes and even a blind man could see the forced smile you keep giving." She ended with a raised brow and a smile he wished he could trace.

He sat up straight. It was a shock she still hadn't heard how loud and fast his heart was beating. It had still not fully registered in his mind that she was right in front of him... without her memory. None of him or her son. So with all that what was there to say. He tried using the first thirty minutes after they arrive to get himself to understand the situation and find a solution. Instead, he looked like an idiot. A lost, sad, idiot.

"I'm leaving." Those were enough to get him wide awake and on his feet. "No...please...stay...please."

"Fine." She dropped her purse and sat. "Why did you invite me here." She quarried with her arms crossed before her chest.

"I almost hit you with my car." He simply stated.

"So this is compensation?"

"This is a might as well know who almost put me in jail....type of date." What Roman heard from her was longer and louder than a giggle.

"So...what do I call the man who almost killed me?" She asked, getting a bit comfortable.

"Roman Maneini." He simply responded.

"I knew I knew you from somewhere."

"Really?"

"Yeah. You're the man in Mrs. Bakers toilet."

"Wow. That was not what I was expecting." He stated the obvious but in a playful way, erupting another laugh from her.

"I'm sorry but seriously, she has this cabinet in there and when she bought it it automatically came with your face on it." The waitress came with their coffee just as she finished. They thanked her before she left.

She took a sip and said."You never answered my question." He questioned her with a braised brow. "What's your story?"

"What makes you think I have a story?" He asked. "You look lost." The statement came out as though she felt bad for him.

Roman pushed his coffee a bit further from him and relaxed his elbows and fore arms on the cotton covered table. This was done in an attempt to get closer to her without making it so obvious.

"I have a wife and a son."

"That's great..."

"My son has been in a coma since the same time as my wife got missing. Six months." He added. "That's how long I've been lonely. Six months."

She didn't know how to react to this except make him feel he wasn't alone in the sad club. "I've lost all the memories of myself from the past twenty six years." She began in a shaky voice. "Mrs. Baker found me laying almost dead near a toy shop." Roman tucked his hands between his thighs to stop himself from pulling her to himself.

"I feel there's someone out there...missing me." She started again. "I feel someone out there is hurting more than I am." She paused to clean the tears that threatened to fall from the corners of her eyes.