Better Knowledge

~Hannah's POV~

"Okay, so..." Mitch began. "When I was little, I had a really abusive dad. He not only abused me, but would constantly harm my mom, too. We were terrified to confront him, by telling the police. So we didn't.

One day, I went to school. I think I was in fourth grade at this point. My mom was home sick, and my dad had gone to work.

When I got to school, there was a new kid in class, and I was assigned to-" Mitch started. I cut him off.

"I don't want to hear about the new kid. I meant the stuff about you," I told him. I knew the abuse stuff was personal, but I didn't think the new kid was that important.

"No no, the kid has something important to do with it," Mitch informed me.

"Okay, fine. Proceed," I declared.

"So, as I was saying. This new kid- well, might as well say it now. That new kid was Jerome. So, I was assigned to show Jerome the ropes of fourth grade and all, so that's what I did.

Jerome got my mind off of things for the day. We talked and shared a few jokes, and everything was great. Normal. That is, until the end of the school day, when I got home.

The bus pulled up in front of my house, and I ran up to my garage, sprinting inside. 'Finally, away from school' I had thought.

Then I realized school wasn't my biggest problem.

When I came into the living room, my dad was standing over my mom, his fist raised. I was terrified. It was just his bare hand, but I didn't know what he was capable of.

'Mom!' I had yelled. She looked at me, with this scared look. Her eyes glistened with tears.

'Go, Mitch,' she had told me. 'Get away from this place, honey.'

'But, mom,' I had tried to argue.

'GO!' She repeated. This time I listened, running out the front door, never looking back.

Never.

That was probably my biggest mistake..." Mitch finished, tears in his eyes.

"Mitch, I-" I tried. I got choked up, and started to cry.

"It's... it's okay, I guess," he sighed.

"Well, I suppose it's my turn?" I said, trying to get Mitch's mind off of his past. He nodded.

"Okay, so when I was little, my parents abused me. The both of them. In more than one way. They called me terrible names, and punched me 'til I was black and blue all over. One day, our neighbors called the police after they noticed my bruises, and the police took my parents away. I was sent to an orphanage, where the other girls bullied me.

I was miserable; that is, until I found out about your videos. They made my day so much better. They made everything better.

That's about all. I know, there's not as much depressing stuff as your life, but consider yourself lucky. You never got thrown out on the curb by the person you thought loved you."

"I... You're just-" Mitch began, then closed his mouth, as if that was all he had to say.

"I guess that basically gives us a better knowledge of each other," I told him, sharing a weak smile.

"I guess you're right," Mitch said, returning the smile, even though it was only half-hearted.

Then we both just sat in silence for a while, looking at each other, just not saying a word.

Staring.

Something I had come to be used to.

Silence.

Another thing I was accustomed to by now.

Waiting for the next word, next sentence.

Waiting.

(Author's Note: And 10k? Wow! I could never have asked for this sequel to be such a success. It's amazing! I need to thank you all so much for all the support.

Two. More. Chapters!

Baiii all my little lions!

Join da pride today!)