Thought Twenty-Three. - Payback time.

After we had arrived back at the cave, Jones and I talked for a bit and played with Monroe. Sitting by the fire we discussed my life as a human, and he talked a little about his history, which goes way further then mine. It was interesting, and made me like him even more. I'm not sure what goes on in that head of his, but it intrigues me. He can lose control, be ignorant, and dangerous. But he has also proven that he can be gentle, passionate and kind. 

What am I going to do?

I left the cave when the sun set, and I can see the cabin from where I stand. I am maybe twenty feet away from the door. Monroe hangs from a satchel on my shoulder that Jones has lent me.

 It's such a complex situation though. 

If I go in there, with guns a blazin', what am I going to accomplish? 

I will feel a lot better. 

But truthfully, nothing changes either way. 

Should I have some fun with this? 

Milk it for what it's worth?

I reach the door, and grab the handle. Slowly turning it to the right, as my nerves kick in over-drive, and my face starts sweating. 

I really want to stomp in, screaming like hell at him. 

I really do. 

Monroe wakes up and gives a soft meow, just before I open the door. She looks up at me with her cute, round innocent eyes, and relaxes me. I know what I am going to do. 

Stepping in, I find Neven sitting on his bed. He jumps as soon as he hears me, and promptly stands up, walking towards me quickly. Before I can say anything, he is wrapping his arms around me and pulling me tightly to him. After a few minutes of silence, I make the first move to pull away. He stares into my eyes, as if searching for something. 

"Hi, Neven." 

"Ariel. You're safe. And you're okay?" 

"I'm safe, and I am perfectly fine." I reassure him. 

He stands still, holding his left arm tightly. 

Is he nervous?

Worries?

Guilty?

"Are you okay, Neven?" I arch my eyebrow at him in question. 

"I-I-I'm fine. I just, it just... it seems like it has been so long since I've seen you. To be honest, I was beginning to wonder if you were even coming back to me, ma' dear." He runs his fingers through his hair, and I can see the perspiration build up on his forehead. 

"Why wouldn't I come back, Neven? We have things to accomplish. I mean... we still have to go on our journey to save the souls, and firstly to find the key! This is serious business." I try to look and sound as innocent as I can muster, without seeming fake in any way. 

"Yes, I know. I just wasn't sure if you had changed your mind, or not. Jones can be persuasive when he wants to be. I have heard horror stories about that vampire, and let's just say, his soul would be delicious. That's just how evil he is."

I don't think delicious is a worthy enough word to describe his soul.

Of course, I don't let him in on that little secret.

"Oh, I see. Well who told you these horror stories? I mean, where did you hear them from?"

I watch him sweat, and even twitch a little as I continue to play him.