chapter nine

"In the midst
of madness and mayhem
our souls will always
find each other."

"I can't believe this is actually happening. I'm actually getting married today," Emmeline whispered.

She stared at herself in the mirror, taking in her white dress and make-up. There was joy in her eyes and an excitement on her face that was almost too personal to see. Emmeline was the epitome of a beautiful bride on her wedding day.

The wedding would begin at around one o' clock, so Emmeline, myself, and the rest of her bridesmaids were all ready to go with five minutes to spare. Magnolia, Emmeline's cousin and maid of honor, and I were sitting with her while the other bridesmaids went to go check in with the director of the wedding.

"Are you nervous?" asked Magnolia, her French accent shining through.

When Emmeline shook her head, her smile was still on her face. "Not at all. I love Jaxon, and I know he loves me. It's just—." She stood up and turned to face the both of us. "I've been dreaming about getting married ever since I was a little girl. Now, it's actually happening."

Magnolia and I glanced at each other and smiled. Magnolia knew her cousin more than I did, her and Emmeline were very close in age and spent a lot of time together, but Emmeline had told me stories of her childhood and how she actually wanted to be married to the love of her life.

"It is finally happening, and we're so excited for you. And I just know, that in his room, Jaxon is probably jumping up and down with excitement like we wish to do," I said. Both Emmeline and Magnolia giggled at that statement, probably because they knew it was true. Poor Jaxon could not sit still, especially when he was excited.

"Yes, let's save the jumping around for the party afterward." Emmeline winked.

There was a gentle knock at the door. I walked across the room to open it up and saw Nina standing with a gentle smile on her face. Nina was the 'director' of the wedding and had been hired to make sure everything went smoothly to make this day as perfect as it can be.

Nina tapped her watch and winked at Emmeline. "It's time," she said.

"Thank you." Emmeline linked arms with Magnolia, then with me on her other arm, and we walked towards the entrance of the Church together.

Once we got there, the best man, the groomsmen, the other two bridesmaids, ring bearer, flower girl, and Emmeline's father were already waiting for us. "Alright now, get into your pairs!"

"Good luck," I whispered to Emmeline. As an afterthought, I added, "You don't really need it, you'll be fabulous."

She snorted. "I know that, darling."

Dean was already waiting at our spot when I finally walked away from Emmeline. His wild dirty blonde hair was combed and brushed neatly to one side and his black tuxedo made him look even more mature than he already was. He still towered over me, but I think I could live with that.

"Surprisingly, you don't look half bad in a tux, little brother," I joked.

He smiled. "And you actually look somewhat decent in a dress, older sister."

The order of the proceeding would be Mary and Max, Emmeline and Jaxon's friends respectively. Then Ella and Kieran, once again close friends of Emmeline and Jaxon respectively. Dean and I would walk down together after them. Collin and Katherine, the ring bearer and flower girl would walk down the aisle after us. Second to last would be Magnolia and Jaxon's best man, Anthony. Finally, Emmeline and her father would walk down the aisle to the rest of us waiting to receive them.