chapter ten

"And then my soul
saw you and kind of went
'Oh. There you are.
I've been looking for you.' "

At that point, I wasn't sure if I was breathing or not. There was a lump in my throat that I kept trying to swallow, and my eyes were blinking rapidly trying to take in the sight that was before me.

My soulmate was here. Finn Jexson, was here, at my brother's wedding, looking like he just got done with a photoshoot.

A little yelp came from my body, and that made him turn around fully and search for the noise. Now, I am the slowest runner in my family, but I sprinted at speeds that probably would leave my brothers in the dust. My parents' table was far away enough that I could hide out there until I felt ready for a confrontation. I prayed he didn't see me beforehand.

Wait, he would've heard your speech, seen you at the altar. He knows you're here.

I always hate it when my subconscious is right. Hopefully, he wouldn't look for me, but my luck wasn't all too great in the first place.

When I reached my parents' table, I was out of breath and probably red in the face. I stood in between their two chairs. "Whoa, Luna. Are you okay?" Mom asked.

Catching my breath, I glanced around to make sure no one was listening in on our conversation. "He's here, Mom," I whispered frantically. "Finn is here! In person, in real life!"

Mom and Dad shared a quick, guilty glance. Her fingers started tapping the table while Dad looked at the dance floor and straightened his tie. It was their typical tells that they were hiding something.

In my frantic state, I was surprised that it didn't take me longer to figure out the truth. "You knew!" I exclaimed. "You knew he would be here and you didn't tell me! How is he even here? He wasn't on the guest list and oh my goodness you guys—."

"Luna, sweetheart, breathe. Take a deep breath, it's okay." Dad rubbed small circles on my back, something he always did to calm down my anxiety attacks.

With a shaky breath, I asked again, "How is he even here?"

My headache was going on strong and my head felt like it weighed a hundred pounds. There was no avail as I tried to rub my temples gently, but my icy fingers felt nice against my skin.

"Luna, a long time ago I knew a man named Steven Jexson. We used to work at the same office building for the same company. After you told us your soulmate's name, I remembered that he had a son."

He took a deep breath before his voice came out quietly. "I remembered that you two went to the same preschool. I remembered his name was Finn. So I asked Jax if he could add one more family to the list. I called Steven up and asked him to come because one family dropped out and things were already in place and we haven't seen each other in a while. He probably thinks I'm crazy but none of that really matters because they're here."

"Oh my—." My hand flew to my mouth in my shocked state. It was so hard trying to comprehend everything my dad had just said when there was still loud music playing in the background, but I think I got the main idea.

My hand fell back to my side, now clenched in a fist. "You're telling me that you purposefully invited Finn and his family here without telling me?"