Chapter 1 | a promise

The orphanage was small and cosy, a safe and warm environment for kids. It's jarrah floorboards that didn't make a singe creek, the lacy curtains on the windows let the light through and shine on the blue rug in the play room in the morning. The layout of the orphanage was like a family home, with many bedrooms. Everyone sat at the dinner table for breakfast, lunch and dinner, even if you were sick you'd never miss it.

Whammy's house was a place made for the homeless and abandoned children that weren't accepted because of their minds, it was your home, you'd been here since you were a baby. It was the best place to be as a homeless and abandoned child. Every child at whammy's felt like they were wanted due to the amount of love they were given, they were all healthy and happy, it was a place that felt like it was a fairytale land. It had big jacaranda trees that always seemed to be in bloom around the perimeters, the one at the very back with a wooden swing on it. It had a large grassy yard for the kids to play on, it had a trail of stepping stones through the middle that lead to a ring of rose bushes where a fountain sat inside. All the girls and some of the boys liked to believe fairies lived there.

Your room was small and cosy, your drawers in one corner and your desk in another that was scattered with detailed colouring books. Your bed was against the wall by the window, it had baby blue bed sheets and multiple fluffy pillows, along with your beloved toy dog, sprinkles was his name.

You (y/n) (l/n), were 5 years old and two months, you had little friends, since you preferred to be alone, but you held no grudge against anyone. You likes to spend your time in the trees out back or in your room, colouring in your books. Today was different from the rest, you were sitting on the floor, surrounded by coloured pencils as you coloured in a mermaid, when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in!" You said, sitting up.

It was Mr. Whammy the man that opened the door.

"Hello (y/n), I'd like you to meet a new boy, and keep him company" he said.

You spotted a boy with messy black hair and wrapped up in a brown jacket and blue scarf hiding behind Mr. Whammy.

You got up and walked over to them.

"This is Lawliet. But since not many kids would be able to pronounce that we'll calm him L"

The small boy didn't say anything, just waved and looked down at his feet.

"He's been on the streets for a while now so please be kind to him. I think you two could be good friends. Can you please get to know him and show him around" Mr. Whammy asked.

"Uh-huh! I'll be the best friend ever!" You replied.

"Thank you very much, I'll leave you two to talk"

And with that Mr. Whammy left, and you were alone with the new boy. You were exited to make a new friend, you may not like people that much, but you wanted at least one friend to hang out with.

"It's nice to meet you! I'm (y/n). How old are you?" You smiled.

"F-five" he replied, in a quiet voice.

"Really? So am I! We can be best friends! I have lots of colouring books we can do, and lots of toys too! How do you pronounce your name? I don't want to mess it up"

"Law-li-et" he said, sounding out his name.

It was a little tricky for a five year old.

"L-law-li-et. Got it!"

You grabbed his arm gently and pulled him to where you were sitting.