Chapter 31:

Sorry it's taken so so very long and even more sorry that it's short. I have been having trouble finding the motivation to write lately so I hope this is up to an ok standard. 😊

"Get your asses moving!"

"yes ma'am!" they all reply, short of breath and panting. I watch as they all run around the large room, doing as many laps as they can make themselves do in order to impress me. They still have a long way to go, they're only on lap 63.

My gaze settles on Ryan, who is in front of the whole group. From where i stand watch, it looks as if he is only now starting to struggle- impressive.

They finally reach lap number 100, leaving me mildly impressed and more than slightly bored. Calling them over to where I stand and handing them each a bottle of water which they quickly guzzle down, I discuss quietly with Kayden what he thinks about the potential new gang recruits.

"They look ok stamina and overall fitness wise, but i would have expected there to have been more who were at the same level as Ryan. I must say that even though I hate the guy, he is certainly good at making himself look better than the rest of them." His gaze is piercing through the side of Ryan's head who, feeling our eyes on him turns to face us, distracted from his previous activities which I can only assume were assessing his competition. I make a noise of approval as he smiles at me and takes my silence as an invitation to make his way over to us.

"oh no. He's coming! I'm out- call me when you need me". Kayden makes a haste retreat into my study and office area out the back of the training base, leaving me to face Ryan all by lonesome self.

I put on my mask of indifference, not wanting to boost Ryan's ego by him seeing that I am sort-of impressed by what he has brought today.

"So, what are you thinking? Am I going ok?" He smiles at me, eager to hear my answer and gain my approval.

I shrug, faking indifference. "You're doing ok, I guess..."

"Only ok? Jeez Maddy, I'm better than everyone here. I mean- just look at that guy for example. He looks like he couldn't beat a six year old in a fist-to-fist!"

I smirk as I see the guy give Ryan a death stare, clearly having been within earshot to hear the assessment that had been made of him by the younger boy.

"You really think so boy? Would you be willing to bet your pretty face on that? Or are the bruises not worth it?" He says as he walks over, acting tough and intimidating. He glances over at me, making me realise that he is conscious of exactly what he is doing- trying to impress the one in charge.

"Hmph. Of course. Do you really think I can't take a guy like you?" He seems to be hyping himself up for what is to come.

The older man throws the first punch. And that's how I ended up in the corner of the room, standing over Ryan and the man who I have learnt to be known as Jimmy. They lean against the wall and look up at me, reaching out to grab the ice-packs that I offer them both.

I turn around and have a quick glance at the others who I have put through a sparring activity, making sure that they are not slacking even though my eyes were not on them. Luckily, all of them were fully involved and were trading hits well and with good speed.

My gaze is drawn back to the two males when I hear them chuckling. It seems that after the initial proving of their own manliness, they were on good terms, quite friendly with one another.

Nothing like a quick punch-up to break the ice and release the tension.

Thanks for taking the time to read another chapter! If anyone has any ideas on how the story could continue, please message me- I am at a bit of a loss at the moment.

Hope your all well and hope you enjoyed the short update!
Xx - your author, Charlie