Reckless - Prologue

Hello everyone – we are the Aurora Honor, and we are so excited about sharing out story. Reckless means so much to us; we’ve been working on this story for months now, and we’re finally sharing it with you all!

So, we hope that you all love our story – thank you all so much for reading!

xoxo, The Aurora Honor (Ana & Gabby)

Prologue

As a child, I was pretty reckless.

My mother used to tell me that I was never scared of anything, and that I loved fear for some reason. She would say that I used to climb the monkey bars by myself, and I would just laugh. I had no fear of anything. At that point, I had been only two or three.

It’s funny because, I don’t remember ever not being cautious. I don’t know what happened to me, or what changed, but I wasn’t that carefree child anymore.

Maybe it was just the fact that I felt so alone.

I don’t really remember my younger years that much. It all feels obscure and murky, really. I knew that I was born and raised in Florida all my life. Though, I have no conscious memories of it at all.

When I graduated high school, I wanted to leave town, and never look back. Whoever said that high school was amazing lied. I was a nobody; a fly that buzzed but no one bothered with. I wanted a fresh start. I didn’t want to go back to being nothing. I wanted to be someone.

The people in the small-populated school didn’t even bother knowing who I was. Walking through the halls, I would get shoved and often lose my footing. The person wouldn’t even bother to say sorry or even notice that they ran into someone.

Everyone had their clique, and I was not welcomed in any of them.

I made decent grades throughout my high school career. Not the best, but not the worst as well.

Once I had that rolled-up diploma in the palm of my hands, I didn’t bother with any goodbyes - not that I had any to give out. Most people after high school, plan for college. Unlike those people, I didn’t have any education plans.

Even though college clearly wasn’t in my future, I knew for sure that I wanted to leave my small town in Florida.

I wasn’t exactly sure if what I did was the best choice I’ve ever made. Leaving Florida meant leaving the melancholy family - could I even call it that? - I had, behind.

After my mother died, I had taken up all of the responsibility. My Aunt Mary had come down and tried to help us out, but she wasn’t what we needed.

My father was a busy man. He worked just about twenty-four, seven and never had enough time for me. The only time that I would really see him was when he left through the front door and then came back through. He never bothered to say goodbye.

When mother died, he turned to alcohol as his coping mechanism. When I said I rarely saw him earlier, well that’s nothing compared to now. Some nights he wouldn’t come home, and I would be left to fend for myself. I doubt that he even realized I left.

The death of my mom put a huge strain on me. She was my everything - the only thing in life that I truly loved. She showed me the meaning of the word love.

It was as if life no longer had any meaning. I understood why father found something he could turn to, in order to help him with the loss. For me, leaving the past behind was what I needed. I couldn’t cope like he did.

I needed a fresh start.

I needed to be somewhere new.

And that is why I bid my old life, goodbye.