Reckless - Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Melanie has a son.

Melanie has a son.

The little boy runs up to her and wraps his arms around her two legs. She bends down and showers him with kisses and hugs.

“Hi my sweet boy! Whatcha up to?”

“Mommy! I missed you!”

Melanie smiles and kisses him again, “I missed you too, Micah."

She finally pulls away from Micah, and he stares up at me.

“Who are you?” he asks, eyes wide.

I bend down to his level, “Hi, my name is Addy.”

“My name is Micah,” he says, suddenly shy. “Are you my mommy’s friend?”

I nod and nearly pinch his cheeks. He is just too adorable. He has Melanie’s brunette waves and bright brown eyes.

“Yeah, I am."

Out of nowhere, he wraps me in a hug, “Yay! Another person to help me build my fort.”

Melanie opens the door to her apartment, ushering us into the small space. I trail behind, closing the door behind me. When I turn around again, Melanie is scowling at, what I assume to be, Micah’s dad.

“You were supposed to bring him tomorrow morning!” Melanie shrieks.

Micah runs off somewhere, which is a good thing because I think a heated argument is about to arouse.

“I called earlier this week to tell you that I have plans tonight with Hailey!” mystery man shouts at her.

I have plans with Hailey…” Melanie mocks.

He rolls his eyes, “And you said that it would be okay if I dropped him off early! Geez, Melanie, don’t you ever listen?”

Melanie rolls her eyes too, “I guess I forgot then. It’s been a little hectic this week. You are definitely being an a**hole right now in front of my guest, Julian!”

I was still cowering beside the door, but look up unexpectedly when I feel two sets of eyes on me. Julian’s glaring at me, while Melanie’s offering a look of sympathy toward me.

“Julian, meet Addy. Addy, this is Julian, Micah’s rude father.”

Julian whips his head back toward Melanie. I can definitely feel the tension between the two of them throughout the atmosphere. I don’t know what to say, so I just keep my mouth shut and stare at the broken couple.

“Whatever. I’ll pick him up on Monday,” Julian storms out of the apartment with a locked stance. “Don’t forget this time.”

Melanie yells and flips him off. As the door closes, she crosses her arms and lets out an exasperated sigh. I turn to her with a look of empathy.

“I think you have some explaining to do, Melanie.”

She gives me a knowing look and nods her head toward the kitchen for me to follow.

***

We sit at the kitchen table, facing one another and drinking coffee. Micah is in the living room with the TV on some kiddie show and playing with the toys that are scattered around the floor.

“Looks like our plans for celebrating are ruined,” Melanie says, tracing her index finger around the rim of her mug, a slight pout on her face.