Reckless - Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Weeks passed in a blur.

Nothing really extraordinary happened. Unless you count the massive amounts of rain that fell from the sky.

Who knew that Hudson, Ohio could be so rainy?

Work became a solid routine, and so was my relationship with Chris. Since our first official date as a couple, we had been on several more dates. And when I met his parents at the art gallery, everything went surprisingly well.

They were such lovely and welcoming people.

Life seemed like it was finally good; that I could breathe without fear of anything. I guess all the peace was due to the fact that I hadn’t seen a certain someone in while.

But whatever that had been, it was finally in the past and I was looking towards the future.

Besides, there were more important things to focus on. In a few days, Melanie’s court case was about to happen, and I had to be the best support that I could be.

I was glad that Chris understood that - he really was the most amazing person.

He was so attentive to all my needs, and knew when I needed my space.

Sometimes I felt like I didn’t deserve to have him. That, inside… I wasn’t worth everything he had to offer. Even though those negative thoughts plagued my mind, he would always reassure me that I was the best girlfriend.

Once the weekend rolled around, I found myself at Melanie’s place. Seeing her so stressed and nervous was a bit unusual. She was usually so sure of herself. Now, she looked scared.

“I can’t believe Monday is the day, Addy,” she tells me, pacing back and forth in her living room. “Gosh, I’m so nervous.”

“It’ll be okay,” I say, trying to ease her nerves.

“What if the judge doesn’t agree with me?” Oh no - she was overthinking. “What if I end up losing Micah to that… monster?”

Walking up to her, I wrap my arms around her. “Don’t you dare think that. You’re not going to lose Micah.”

“You’re right. You’re right. I’m just stressing.”

Even though Melanie is regretting it, Micah has been staying with his dad the last few days. She feels like it should be a “final” goodbye before it, hopefully, all ends.

Melanie doesn’t have anyone, but Micah, and I wanted to do everything to help her keep him forever.

“You’re an amazing friend, Addy,” she says.

I wince at her statement, an unwelcome feeling rising in my stomach.

An amazing friend wouldn’t lie to you about her whole life, I think, hating myself for keeping secrets from her.

Melanie has been the most honest person to me; she hasn’t told me anything but the truth. And what kind of friend am I to be telling her nothing but lies?

A lousy one.

With that dreadful thought, I head out of Melanie’s apartment and make my way back to mine to get enough rest for the busy day planned for tomorrow.

I haven’t been able to get a good, full night’s sleep yet without bad thoughts constantly invading my mind. Hopefully, it will be able to shut down in order to get rest.

***

The room is silent.

It’s so quiet in here that I can hear my own breathing pierce the silence.