Reckless - Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Setting myself down into a chair, I nearly pass out.

Every bone in my body is filled with complete exhaustion - I can barely think straight. Heavy breaths of air release from my body, and I can feel the sweat sticking everywhere.

Through my exhaustion, I have to force myself to continue working.

Luckily, my shift is almost over and that means I’m free to go home and sleep; hopefully, my rude neighbor above me won’t be playing music tonight.

I didn’t go back around Nash or Veronica all night - nor the group of girls who were ogling him.

Danielle and I traded tables after I handed Nash and Veronica their drinks. However, I always felt like a pair of eyes were watching my every move.

When the clock finally ticks to twelve o’clock, I’m filled with relief that most of the crowd has left. I don’t have too much to do because Jim insists that he will have a crew come in tomorrow to clean the place up.

“You’ve worked your a** off enough tonight, go get some rest, Addy.”

I walk to the back room and grab my stuff. I wave goodbye to Jim, Chris, and the other waitresses before dragging myself outside to walk home.

The walk home isn’t that bad - it’s only a short ten minutes. There are streetlights illuminating the streets, so, thankfully, it isn’t pitch black. There isn’t anything to fear either; no one is really outside at twelve, except the few people leaving local bars.

I rub my arms, cursing myself for not bringing a jacket. Even though it was summer, some nights were chillier than others.

Of all the things, you couldn’t remember to bring a jacket?

I am almost to the apartment buildings when I hear the slight sound of footsteps behind me. They echo throughout the silent night.

My heart thumps rapidly against my chest, and I quickly turn around. Someone’s trailing in the shadows. Slowly, they walk out, and I nearly trample the person. The fear that filled my system seconds ago is now full of irritation.

“Don’t scare me like that,” I tell them with a scowl. “It’s late.”

He only smirks and catches up to me, “I really couldn’t resist.”

I roll my eyes and start walking away from him, the sound of his footsteps still echoing behind me.

“Where’s your little friend - Veronica, is it?” I ask, bitterly.

Nash seems to choke for a moment. I stop in place, about to turn around and see if he is okay. But before I can, he clears his throat.

“She went home,” he replies easily.

Turning around I ask, “Do you really not have anything better to do than stalk me?”

“Although that would be a lot of fun,” he grins widely, “I’m actually going to my apartment.”

“Oh, nice to know that you don’t stalk people...” I trail off and start back on my journey home again.

Making it to the steps of the apartment, I turn around to see Nash right behind me. My eyes widen a bit. but I just shake my head. He can’t possibly live here, can he?

Taking each step one at a time, I can feel his breaths against my hair.

“Do you seriously live here?” I ask, not turning to face him.