Reckless - Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

My phone has been ringing non-stop for the past twenty minutes.

After getting off work at seven, I make my way home to get ready for the music gig. But as soon as I open the door to my apartment, my phone doesn't stop ringing.

I haven't bothered to check it; I mean, it is stuck deep inside my purse. Also, I am in a hurry to get dressed. Kane wrote down that the gig was at eight, and it takes thirty minutes to get to the place.

But the noise is annoying me.

Quickly, I throw on a decent looking tank top and some simple flats. I run to my purse and dig for my phone.

When I finally locate it, an unknown number blinks on the screen.

Who the h*ll is this?

Not really thinking, I answer it. I mean, it must be important if they have called twenty times.

"Hello?"

"Oh thank God. Adelaide? Is that you?"

My mouth falls open, and the phone slips out of my hand, dropping to the carpet.

I haven't heard that voice for weeks - months actually. He's contacted me occasionally, but only through text message. This is the first time since I've moved to Hudson where I've heard his voice.

It sounds rough - like he's been crying.

My heart starts beating wildly in my chest. What do I do? Do I want to talk to him?

I slowly bend down and pick the phone back up. Placing it to my ear, I hear him asking if I'm there.

"I'm here."

Short responses. That's how I'll answer.

"Oh honey, I've missed you so much."

No. He can't say that. He cannot say that.

"Adelaide, I want you to come home."

Those words. Those are the words I was hoping he would never say. Guilt starts weaving its way inside of me. The guilt from leaving him in such a devastating state. The guilt from not even saying goodbye to him. The guilt of leaving him alone.

"Adelaide. I'm sorry for not listening to you. But you need to come home."

Those words are ringing through my ear - flooding through my thoughts. I don't know what to say. No words are coming out of my mouth.

"You don't know how lonely it's been without you."

I picture my dad sitting on his favorite recliner in the small, silent house. An unwanted tear rolls down my cheek, and I drop to the floor.

"Come home, Adelaide."

His voice cracks on the phone, which causes more tears to escape. I will not let him know I'm crying though. I can't. I've always been that strong girl, and I can't let him know that he has finally broke me. I've never cried in front of anyone - only my mother.

"No."

The word escapes my mouth, and I quickly wipe away the tears. A surge of anger runs through me. He was the one that drove me away. He was the one that pushed me away. He never cared about me. Why all of a sudden now?

He's silent on the other end, and I take that moment to let words out.

"I'm not coming home," I say into the phone, a little stern.