Reckless - Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Three days after the call, Melanie went in to meet with an attorney.

She begged me to go with her, and as her only support group… I couldn’t say no. When we arrived at the attorney’s office, I could tell that she was nervous. When we confirmed with the secretary about our appointment, I placed a hand on Melanie’s arm and smiled reassuringly.

It would all be okay.

Thankfully, she smiled back at me.

We sat in the waiting area for only a few minutes before we were called in. The meeting passed by in a blur, and with enough tears for days. By the end, Melanie had used up almost two boxes of the attorney’s tissues.

Lucky for us, the attorney was a nice woman who was willing to help Melanie out. Her name was Corina Matthews, and she was familiar with child custody cases. I marveled when she didn’t even bat an eye while Melanie poured out her heart and soul.

It took a lot to be a lawyer.

After almost getting everything settled, Ms. Matthews told us to come back in a week. She said we could finalize things then.

“I’ll do whatever it takes, Ms. Hart.”

Her encouraging words filled me with a distinct warmth - hope. Hope that Micah would no longer have to see Julian. Hope that Melanie would get full custody. Hope that I could finally see my best friend’s life come together.

Hope that my promise to Melanie wouldn’t be in vain.

When we left the office that day, everything began to look brighter. Micah got better and Melanie actually smiled again. Even work wasn’t half bad. For the rest of the week, the Black Star ran smoothly, and I wasn’t so stressed out.

Chris even asked me out again.

He said that there was a new movie coming out and he really wanted to see it - with me. To say the least, I was shocked. I was surprised he even wanted to see me after… after the incident.

But, being the gentleman he is, he didn’t even bring the case up. We are going to see the movie Saturday night.

Life is finally going somewhere. For the first time since leaving Florida, I can say that I’m happy. Genuinely happy.

But, of course, all good things don’t last forever.

***

I let out a nervous breath.

Why am I so nervous?

“I had a great time.”

I smile, “Yeah, the movie was great - I totally didn’t expect the ending though.”

“I wasn’t talking about the movie Addy,” he says with a smile of his own. “But that was good too.”

I can feel my cheeks start to burn with embarrassment.

Why am I such an idiot?

“Do you want to come in?” I ask, changing the topic.

After the movie finished, we headed to a little burger joint. When that was done, Chris drove me home and here we are now - standing in front of my door.

He scratches the back of his head, “Uh… thanks, but it’s getting late - I wouldn’t want to keep you up late.”

I smile again; always the perfect gentlemen.