Reckless - Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Waking up, I discover my pencils all over the bed.

I must’ve passed out while drawing because I wake up with my face plastered to the drawing pad. I look over to the clock on the nightstand and realize it’s almost eleven o’clock. That run yesterday must have worn me out.

Getting out of bed, I stretch a bit before hopping into the shower. While I let the water run down the sore muscles of my back, I think about my plans for the day. Actually, I should really say my lack of plans.

When the last remains of soap are off, I step out of the steaming shower. Nearly running to my phone, I check to see if Melanie happened to call me back. As a smile illuminates my face, I realize she did. Dialing her number, I pray that she answers.

Within the first few rings, she picks up, “Hey.”

“Hi,” I sigh. “Why didn’t you pick up last night?”

“I’m sorry, I guess I forgot to tell you,” she says through the phone. “Dan took me out to dinner last night; I was relieved to find Micah a babysitter.”

“And you couldn’t ask me?” I ask, a little angry that she couldn’t rely on me.

“I didn’t think you were available. I figured that you wanted to relax because you had the day off. Why did you try to reach me last night?”

Embarrassment drifts into my senses; should I tell her about Nash? Thinking about him, a flame flares up inside of me. Shaking my head, I come up with a response.  

“I - I just wanted to see if you were doing anything.”

I mean, that was true - I did want to do something with her.

“Sorry again - but hey, are you doing anything today?” Melanie asks.

I shake my head, and then realize that she can’t even see me. Laughing a bit to myself, I tell her that I don’t have any plans. She then tells me that I could hang out with her and Micah today.

“We’re going to the park; it’s supposed to be really nice out today.”

“I’d love to come,” I tell her. “What time are you two going to be there?”

“Hmm,” she says, clearly thinking, “it’s nearly twelve now; I’d say, around one?”

“Perfect.”

Melanie says goodbye and I start to get ready. Eating a bowl of salad, I check the weather on my phone. Only seeing sunny skies and warm weather, I pull on a pair of shorts and a tank. Braiding my hair to the side, I pull on some flip flops.

Slipping my shades on, I grab my keys and wallet. As I step outside, I’m hit with a wave of heat. Glancing around, I check to see if I can see a certain someone. A sigh of relief leaves my mouth, and I walk to the park.

Making it to the park in about twenty minutes, I spot Melanie and Micah right away. She is sitting on a bench, while he swings.

“Hey,” I say when I’m in close proximity with them.

Hearing my voice, Micah turns to look at me. A smile lights his face, and he jumps off the swing set, running with arms wide open towards my direction.

“Addy!”

A pair of small arms wraps themselves around my two legs. Laughter fills my body, and I lean down to hug the little boy.

“Micah!” I say with just as much enthusiasm.

Still smiling, he says, “I missed you!”

“I missed you too!” I tell him, giving him another hug. After all of the hugging is over, I then let him run off and play on the playground again.