Reckless - Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Chris came home on Monday.

That night, he took me out on another date. As sweet as it was, there was something tense between us; he didn’t seem to notice. He did all the talking again, while I just sat back and listened, rolling my food around the plate.

Now, don’t get me wrong; I still do like Chris. He’s a great boyfriend - one of the sweetest and nicest guys that I know. But, there isn’t a spark between us. It feels more like a friendship rather than a relationship.

But then again, what do I know about relationships?

When I look at Dan and Melanie, I see heated looks of love and lust between the two of them. There is nothing like that between Chris and me. We have yet to exchange those three little words, and to be honest, I don’t think I’m even close to saying them.

I mean, I don’t know anything about love. The only love I knew was the mother-daughter kind. My mom told me that you’ll know you love someone when you feel it in your heart.

And right now, I don’t really feel anything like that for Chris.

Not even close.

***

“Mommy! Can we please get cookies?”

Melanie and I have been walking down the aisles of the food store, picking up groceries for the week. She needed to stock up, and since I wasn’t busy, I thought I would help.

Micah’s in the cart, reaching his short arm out for a box of cookies as we pass by it. I lightly chuckle at his struggle and grab the box for him. Melanie seems oblivious as she looks down at her grocery list, deep in thought.

“All those d*mn boys do is eat,” she mutters. “They should be the ones restocking.”

Melanie and Dan have moved to the next step in their relationship - moving in with one another. Dan ended up moving his tiny closet into her apartment. They decided to take the next step when they realized that they were already practically living together.

Yes, they’ve really only been dating for about five months, but to be honest, I couldn’t be happier for them.

Dan and the rest of the gang from the band - all except Nash - decided to have a “guys” day at Melanie’s apartment while he was babysitting Micah. Apparently some big football game was on, and they just couldn’t miss it. They ended up eating everything, leaving Melanie to clean up the mess.

“Oooh. Mommy used a bad word,” Micah says.

Melanie looks up from the list, “Sorry, sweetie. Mommy’s a little stressed at the moment.”

She picks up a box of macaroni and cheese, placing it in the cart.

Seeing her stress and obvious frustration, I say, “I could take Micah and get some of the stuff on the list, if you want?”

Melanie nods, a relieved smile gracing her face. Handing me the next page on her list with more items, I take hold of the cart and push Micah over to the canned food aisle.

“Okay, buddy. Looks like we’re all alone here in this big store… filled with chocolate sweets,” I tease, poking him lightly in the stomach.

A wide smile covers his face, “Candy!”

I laugh, grabbing a few cans of soup and placing them into the cart. While turning a corner to go to the dairy and bread section, I lightly collide with another cart.