Reckless - Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

“You look great, Addy.”

“Thank you. You do too.”

Chris picked me up less than thirty minutes ago, and he’s taking me to some Italian restaurant. He managed to convince Jim to let us out of work early because our reservation is set for seven.

We have been making small talk on the ride - the usual, “How was your day?” and “Anything new happen?”

It’s a comfortable conversation, but I have to admit - it’s a little awkward.

Chris finally pulls into a parking lot of a restaurant, and I sigh in relief. I haven’t eaten anything all day because of my early shift at work, and I’m dying to eat something.

He parks the car, steps out, and opens my door for me - like a gentleman. I smile at the gesture, taking his offered hand.

Melanie helped me with my outfit tonight. Chris texted me earlier to tell me that we were going to some fancy restaurant, so I wanted to look my best. And what better person to go to than to Melanie?

Since moving here, I haven’t really had the time to invest in nicer clothing items. So the strapless, midnight blue dress that stops at mid-thigh and the black heels, are courtesy of Melanie’s closet.

Chris is in a red dress shirt with khakis - the red bringing out his dark skin tone.

We walk into the restaurant, Chris holding the door open for me, and make our way over to the maître d’ to take our seats. Being the gentleman that he is, Chris pulls out my chair before taking his own seat.

The waitress approaches us and offers us menus, “The special for wine today is the Cà del Bosco Franciacorta Annamaria Clementi. It goes great with the Parma Ham or Lasagne. I’ll give you a few minutes, then be right back to take your order for drinks.”

As she walks away, I take the moment to look around the room. I gave a silent thanks to Melanie for insisting that I dress nicer. Everyone at this restaurant looks straight out of the red carpet or something. This is my first time at a nice restaurant like this and I can’t help but feel a little out of place.

I glance at the menu, my eyes going as big as saucers when I look at the prices. Eighty dollars for a simple filet mignon?!

As if sensing my apprehension, Chris says, “Order whatever you want.”

I glance up and smile at him, “Well I definitely won’t be ordering the ninety dollar bottle of wine.”

“Ahh. That’s right. You’re not twenty-one yet. I always forget. You act so much older than nineteen.”

I blush, “Have you been here before?”

Chris shakes his head, “A friend of mine comes here with his girlfriend all the time, and he recommended that I try it. He says that the food is the best Italian he’s had around here.”

The waiter returns, asking for our drink order. I go for a simple glass of water, and Chris orders a water too. Once she returns to the back, I frown at him.

“You didn’t have to order a water, you know.”

He just smiles, “I didn’t want to make you feel left out.”

“Just because I can’t drink, doesn’t mean you don’t have to.”

“Well, it’s the polite thing to do.”

I look back toward the menu, biting my lip at the thought of choosing only one thing from all these choices.

“Do you know what you want?”