Reckless - Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Who knew time would fly by so fast?

It’s been five months since I came to Hudson. Five months since I gave up my old life to start a new one.

And here I am, in the arms of someone who cares about me on a crisp October afternoon.

Chris has, without-a-doubt, been the sweetest person to me. We’ve been spending a lot of time together over the past weeks - walking, talking, kissing. He hasn’t pushed me to do anything that I don’t want to, and I’m grateful. I don’t think I’m quite ready for that.

Melanie has been the happiest that I’ve seen her. Dan and Micah have grown closer over the weeks.  After the court case, Micah occasionally sees Julian, but he’s been out of the picture for a while.

I’ve seen Kane, Tom, and Jake come into the bar a few times. They say that they’ve been busy working on music. Apparently, they’ve been landing some huge gigs around the state, so they’ve been busy.

Nash… Well, I don’t see him anymore - not since that little run in with him and one of his bimbos.

Apparently he’s been gone for weeks now. The guys say that he’s off on private, solo gigs, but I have no idea. And if I’m any bit honest, I don’t really care. However, I wouldn’t be lying if I said that I miss the music that used to lull me to sleep, or his mischievous, yet charming grin that captivated me.

It’s almost like there’s something missing with him being gone - like an empty space that needs to be filled. But, I don’t dwell on it. Because I’m happy right now. I’m genuinely happy.

Life is good. Life is great. There really isn’t anything that could turn that around.

***

My phone has been ringing non-stop on this Sunday morning.

I was lying on my couch, waiting for Chris’ call to tell me he’s on his way. He says he has something planned for today. Like usual, his plans are a surprise. Assuming it’s him, I don’t check the caller ID before answering.

“Chris. It took you-”

I was cut off by his voice, “You answered.”

Oh God…

“What do you want?”

“You never pick up when I call.”

What do you want?” I sternly repeat.

Silence fills the line. Is he gone? Just when I’m about to hang up, I hear his unusually calm voice break the ice.

“Adelaide, I want you to come home.”

I close my eyes; I want to throw the phone across the room. Why is it that everytime he calls, he asks me this? Hasn’t he gotten the memo by now?

My throat dries up, “No."

I hear him sigh on the other end, “You belong here - with your father. Not off, God-knows-where.”

“I don’t think I have a father…”

He takes a deep breath and exhales.

“Don’t be like that. I know I haven’t been the best father since your mother passed, but I need you.”

Anger starts seeping out of me, followed by tears, “You have completely ignored me for the past eight years! I don’t want to be around someone like that.”