Chapter Seven

I drive back to my apartment shortly after the call. It's so sudden that puts a frown on Angelic's face. I wouldn't imagine myself doing it either until today.

In a matter of time, I shower, debate over my dresses and even shave. All of which is as if he cares. It's the subtle hope of seeing affection from the man you like. The empty wish to see him lift you off your feet and kiss you senseless and make love to you in the midst of the black night to the sunrise.

But these thoughts are broken when I finally stand before my mirror and assess myself. It was only last night that I was subjected to his mockery. How should tonight make it any difference?

Knocking on his door, right before seven o'clock, dressed in my fine white dress patterned with black embroidered flowers, matched with a stiletto and a quilted bag, I patiently wait to be welcomed.

Ethan opens the door. He's wearing a thin smile, faintly showing if you were detail-oriented enough. As always, he looks ravishingly handsome in his black pants and a simple white shirt.

"Hi. How are you?" he asks as he opens the door wider and welcomes me warmly, almost too strange.

"I'm great. How are you?" I ask.

"Doing well." He responds. "Come, I need to introduce someone to you," he puts his hand on the small of my back. And it's not just a brush or a hazy presence. It's there. Right above my skin and if my clothes were not in his way...

STOP! I inwardly yell at myself. He doesn't want you.

When we walk into his living room, decorated in royal gold, white, beige and bright wood flooring, I find a man sitting on one of the beige modern sofas. Standing upon our entrance, he puts the drink in his hand down on the coffee table in front of the sofa.

"Evelyn, this is Martin, one of my friend-

"Best friends," Martin corrects him immediately,

"And my publicist, unfortunately. He's now yours too. He's going to help us to create a favorable public, one to our advantage. Martin, this is Evelyn-

"Yes, I know who she is, you son of a bastard," Martin says in a Scottish accent. I already like him for his humor. "My lady. It's a pleasure to meet you, after all. This madman does not deserve you, I tell ya," he bows at me as if I'm a queen or a princess. I smile as I shake his hand.

"Why am I even friends with you?" Ethan asks. I start feeling important all of a sudden. Ethan is finally considering me worthy of joining his cycle. I remember he used to stand with his friends, girls among them, in the high school hallway. And I remember whenever I would try to get to him, he would just say hi and turn his back to me.

"It's nice to meet you. You're the first person Ethan introduced me to," did I have to say that?

"I think we should start," Ethan says swiftly, pointing to the seats,

While Martin takes his seat, Ethan and I sit in front of him, next to each other.

"So, with this thing going faster than any scandalous marriage in Hollywood and your bizarre agreement between yourselves, I think we need a super plan or something. Number one important thing is to make you lovable and not inconceivable. Try to make them love you, hold hands, kiss each other, I don't know, just act as if you truly love each other. I know that it would hard, considering the arrangement you both agreed to, but if in any circumstance, it is known to the public that you've had an arranged marriage for the sake of a company, not only your careers would be compromised, but also your company, Ethan, and your share, Evelyn. And don't let me get started on your personal arrangement. Was that necessary?" he asks Ethan. I'm glad that he speaks his mind freely. And I'm most certainly glad he speaks of the truth of what I feel.