Chapter Twenty

I wait for him to say something. I even prepare myself for his lash out. But nothing comes. Eventually, when his breathing comes back to normal, he rolls off me and gets on his back next to me. I can see he's still awake. Is he already regretting this? What goes in his mind right now?

I slowly snuggle into his side, and surprisingly, he allows me. It doesn't take me long from there to go to sleep. Already tired from the event, lovemaking with Ethan just made me die. Man, he can do it like a... Is there a word to describe the way he makes love?

Finally, I go to sleep with my head rested on his shoulder and a small smile on my face. I am finally happy that he is here with me. Maybe, after tonight, he finally saw me. He finally understood the way I sacrifice everything just to please him.

When the morning light comes, I first feel a pleasurable sensation of sun rays overlaying my body like a cloak. But then as time passes and I ignore waking up, the desire turns into fire and starts burning my skin. I open my eyes and stretch my limbs. Then I feel the ache from last night. I turn my head, expecting to see Ethan's face but the bed is empty.

I get up on my elbows, looking around the room, but there is no sign of Ethan anywhere. Perhaps, he is off for a run. Smiling, I drop back on the mattress. Last night...

Last night? Holy crap! Ethan and I spent the last night together. We officiated the marriage. Thank God I am still using my pill, otherwise, we would have had a bigger problem now since I don't remember using protection. What have we done? We were drunk, perhaps he was more than I was. Or maybe vice-versa. All I remember is that one thing led to another and we were onto each other, kissing, pulling, stripping, and then...

Hastily, I make a run for the shower and scrub myself, just to get rid of the hangover, although washing away his smell saddens me. I dress in a sundress and finally walk downstairs. During this time, I have had enough time to think about what to say and perhaps have a few ideas about what my answers will be. I have a fair expectation of an awkward moment.

"Good morning." I can't contain myself and offer a small smile.

Ethan looks up briefly before resuming his stare contest with the poor coffee mug before him. He is dressed in his tux. I frown. I don't see any plates or breakfast before him. He must have woken up a long time ago and already eaten breakfast.

"Are you going back to work?" I ask as I grab a mug and fill it with coffee.

"Yes." His answer is brief. Ok, it seems it's gonna more awkward than I thought. His lack of providing more information as to where he's going or even a hint of what happened last night worries me. Maybe he doesn't even remember?

"Do you want some omelets or pancakes?" I still decide to offer. Knowing him, he has an ample appetite for breakfast.

"No, thanks. I'm not hungry." He replies, still not looking up.

"Well, I'm gonna make something for myself." I start grabbing stuff from the fridge when Ethan puts his mug firmly on the breakfast bar.

"We should talk." How many times has that sentence been said in movies? It's always the same no matter what situation. There is a storm coming. I put the pan and other stuff and turn to him.

A part of me knew this was coming, no matter how much I allowed myself to dream on.

"Look." He puts his fingers on his eyes and rubs them frustrated. "What happened last night... that can't happen again." He looks up at me for the first time, and a sudden shiver runs through my body. His eyes are different. It's not like the man who made love to me. His eyes are cold and emotionless. "We were both drunk and I shouldn't have done that. It was very unfair to both you and me..."