Chapter Eleven

The sound of laughter and talking comes from outside as I stand in the kitchen busying myself with making drinks. When our moment was interrupted almost two hours ago, Ethan opened the door to a group of five: my parents, his, and Jessie. Though with all these noises, you might think an army has crushed in. Nevertheless, the more they keep us busy, the less we have to deal with the awkward silence.

"Can I get one of those?" Jessie jumps into the kitchen, eyeing the alcoholic drinks. One would think she wouldn't waste a second when she's twenty-one. But of course, I already she already had a taste. I was the only one who noticed one of the whiskey bottles went down by half last Thanksgiving.

"No," I curtly say, not caring if she's hurt by my forward tone.

"Oh, please. This is a special night. I want to share it with you," she begs me.

"Every night is special for you. Besides, if I were you, I would have saved that speech until my wedding night. Perhaps mom would have let you slip that one off," I shrug, a teasing smirk on my face. Grabbing the tray of drinks, I walk to the patio with Jessie trailing behind me.

Ethan is sitting beside his parents, talking, occasionally laughing. Putting the tray on the coffee table, I occupy the only seat left, besides Ethan.

"So, when are you officially moving in?" Mary asks. I can't help but notice how her eyes are shimmering with happiness as she looks at us. In her own little world, she sees perfection, as if she has just made the match in heaven.

Little does she know her plans to see us happily married is ruined before her eyes. I feel appalling lying to her. After all, she shared her secretive disagreement whenever Ethan would appear with a woman. One of the most recent ones, Lorena.

I open my mouth to reply to her, but Ethan beats me to it,

"She'll be moving in tomorrow. I have already seen to it so she can move in easily," he says, not bothering to look at for agreement, just going ahead and deciding, although it was our game plan to move my stuff in.

"Well, that's great. Then I can come tomorrow and help her," Mary expresses, happily.

"Mom, I don't think that would be necessary. The moving company will handle everything, besides, it's a tiring process. You wouldn't want to waste your time like that when you can enjoy your time at home," Ethan desperately explains and somewhere between his lines, I realize he doesn't want his mother to know that we are sleeping in separate rooms.

"Yes, he's right, Mary. I've got this. Don't worry about it." I add impulsively.

"But I want to help somehow," she says again.

"Well, we have a wedding to be planned." I raise an eyebrow.

"And an engagement party," Jessie adds wickedly. Oh you sly girl, can't wait to party on my behalf, huh?

"Ah, I have completely forgotten about that. Of course, we have a wedding to plan. Janice, you should help too. Oh my god, where should we start? I just forgot completely that your wedding would be in haste. I was thinking more of a May wedding, or something," Mary keeps ranting and a glance at Ethan tells me he's more than grateful for the distraction.

"Of course, I would like to throw some ideas here and there. Though I'm afraid you have to take care of the majority. My working schedule is hectic these days." My mother says.

They hastily stand up, Jessie following suit, and grab me to leave and start the planning when dad speaks up, no doubt coming to save me,

"I think Evelyn should stay. She is more needed in the subject we will be talking while you are seeing to the wedding plans," David Campbell looks at his wife, desperately trying to convey a message, which my mother comprehends almost immediately and lets me go.