C7: Tell Me This Is A Date. Right?

//•••\\

"Darren hand me the orange juice," my father spoke with his empty glass in his hand. We were having one of those really rare occasions where everyone was home and mom decided to cook breakfast. I hated these occasions, because no matter what I always seemed to piss someone off. Last time I had forgot to pick up dad's hardwood supply, once I forgot to tell mom a important client of hers had called. This time L.J was giving me the stink eye for missing practice.

Taking the carton I scooted it to him with a firm head nod.

"You know there's always a spot for you down at the shop son," He stayed pouring his orange juice. "We can catch up on what's being going on in your life,"

"I'm busy everyday for the rest of my life ," I shudder biting into my bacon. The thought of talking about my life with my dad was enough to make me choke. I knew he meant love life. Ever since I had came out as gay all he ever wanted to know was I going about everything the way I should. He didn't harass L.J about who's bumping her kitty.

"Dad, even if he did go he'd bail on you without explanation," L.J spat from the other end of the table.

Our parents briefly looked at one another, looked at us then continued eating their food. They ever rarely got involved in our brother sister fights. As dad would put it makes us closer if we work it out ourselves.

"Well, maybe I didn't bail I actually got caught up in something and I was really sorry," I shot her my best puppy dog eyes.

"Well maybe you should have responded to your hundred missed calls and texts," she cocked her head to the side ready to keep this going forever.

Eating the rest of my bacon I decided to take up conversation in another family member.

"So mom," I trail.

"Oh no don't bring me into this," she shook her head causing her pearl earrings to dangle side to side. Wow betrayed by my own mother that's crazy.

I knew of the perfect way to kill two birds with one stone.

"I didn't come to practice because I was avoiding Shawn," I blurted catching the attention of all three of these nosey clucks. "I realized that I do like him and I was too much of a, you know scaredy cat to confront him,"

L.J's frowned automatically flipped once the words left my mouth.

"Who's Shawn?" My dad asked also with a smile probably happy that I was finally sharing some of my personal life with him.

"What does that matter!" My mom squealed waving her hands up and down. "Our baby has his first crush!"

Yeah, first.

"Oh my god," L.J spoke her jaw almost touching the table top. "I'm so sorry for being such a horrible sister, you were probably going through so many emotions,"

Now I felt like the horrible brother. I hated lying to her.

"I'll talk to him today though, we're actually hanging out after school," I add more fuel to the fire remembering what I had promised him yesterday.

"And you'll share the news with your dear parents won't you?" My dad asked ushering to himself and mom.

"Oh Howie stop pushing him, he's shared enough and we're lucky most parents of teens don't even get that!" She beamed.

I nodded in agreement with my mother. I wasn't even sure would I would say.

The rest of the breakfast went smoothly. I got to finish my waffles in peace without keeping an eye on L.J. My dad no longer pressured me about filling him in on my life and my mother was happier than when she first set down. Even though the circumstances were shitty I loved seeing them happy.