C27: Tell Me You Didn't Just Say That.

//•••\\ 

Track races would ultimately be the true death of me. 

We placed second overall and not too many people were happy about it. Especially Shawn, when they announced us as second he stormed out of the arena area without us much as a goodbye, not to mention he left Dodge looking like he had a temper tantrum throwing sore loser on his team.

L.J and I didn't ride the bus to this game because it was only a couple miles from our house so we took my car instead. L.J might have been salty but she didn't show it as much as I thought she would. It was surprising because just like Shawn, track was her life she favored it over all the over sports she participated in.

"Don't think I forgot Avery told me you decided to blame everything on me," She rolled her eyes before hopping into the passenger seat of the car. "And don't forget she told me you went to talk to Eric's dad like an idiot,"

Ignoring her I quickly started up the car so I could blast the radio and drown out her voice.

L.J had other ideas in mind as she almost tore off my volume knob trying to turn it down.

"At least tell me what happened," She urged kicking her feet up on my dashboard making herself comfortable.

Sighing I shrugged. "I don't know what happened really, I yelled at him a lot, cursed a little,  slammed my hand on a few things and then he kicked me out,"

She let out a soft chuckle. "To be the smart one you're pretty dumb, did Eric say anything to you about it?"

I shook my head no. 

"Wait look is that Shawn?" L.J pointed out of the window to a boy leaning against the hood of his car and it indeed was Shawn, it looked like he was having car troubles and he had left a whole thirty minutes before us. Had he been out here the whole time?

Slowing the car down and pulling over L.J rolled down her window and gave him a smile.

"Need a lift?" I ask already unlocking the car doors.

Looking over at us he trying smiling back but failed miserably I thought I was in a horror movie for a second there. "I'm good guys, just getting some fresh air,"

"Okay," I say ready to drive off when L.J whacked me in the arm.

"Ouch!" I shout three seconds from shoving her out of the car and running her over.

"Seriously do you need to get mentally checked?" She asked honestly concerned. "It's so obvious he needs someone to talk to so go talk to him you're friends right?"

"He's your friend too, you go talk to him!" I whisper harshly still mad that she hit me.

"I'm not the one who strung him along for almost four months," She deadpanned.

Touché.

Sticking my tongue out at her like a child I also flipped her off before stepping out of the car. L.J took that as permission to hop over into the drivers seat.

"He'll drive you home,"

"Oh fuck off," I say annoyed and she didn't even react as she pulled off leaving nothing but open road between Shawn and I. Maybe I didn't want to talk to him because I didn't want to feel bad. Not a day goes by where I don't feel like crap for what I did to him and having to face my actions really scared me. He kept acting as if everything was cool when I know it wasn't but at least that kept us from talking about the real issue.

Walking over to him I causally leaned against his car. "Did coming in at second place really damage you this bad?"

"No, but it did add to my plate," His voice came out soft as he folded his arms against his chest and looked up at the cloudless blue sky. If he wore to pull out a cigarette right now I'd totally say I was living in a movie scene right now.