C9: Tell Me This Wasn't Planned.

//•••\\

I was glad Dodge had given the team a week off for relaxation and such, but what I didn't like is that courtesy didn't extend to me. Since I was new he thought that I didn't have enough practice to earn a full week off. Did I have to fight the urge to quit right there? Yes, I did.

L.J volunteered to accompany me and telling her no was something that was just going to soar over her head. So here we were on the empty track, uniform intact while Dodge sipped his iced mocha coffee. He gave us permission to do anything and I had to see if that included going home: it didn't.

"When's the first game anyway?" I said as I bent down trying to stretch remembering that Eric's football game was this Friday.

"Sunday," L.J did a few leg lunges. "But, enough about that let's talk about Dawn, or Sharren,"

"What?" I questioned standing up so she could get the full effect of me folding my arms against my chest. This me and Shawn stuff really needed to stop, but every time I said anything I dig myself into a deeper hole with more lies.

Laughing she flopped my arms from my chest so that they fell to my sides. "It's called a ship name, Avery helped me come up with it,"

"First things first stop talking to Avery she's my best friend get your own, and second things second can we drop all ship names? how did we even get to ships? You skipped entirely over rowboats where's their justice? Whats next yachts?" I say with way more defense than intended and by the shift in L.J's body language I could tell she wanted to know why.

Bending down to tie my shoe that didn't need tying I really hoped she'd just move past it or Dodge would notice that we weren't doing anything and yell at us.

"You're nervous aren't you?" She asked and I was frozen waiting for her to continue. "You think things are moving pretty fast with Shawn and I'm not helping, am I?

Aha!

"That's exactly it!" I lie with purpose, maybe this will get her to knock it off. "He still hasn't told me when the date is and I just feel like I won't be ready and I want things to go well and you and Avery won't get off my back," I fake pout.

"Ignoring the fact that you just called me a badger, I'll agree to back off and I can promise you Avery will do the same," She smiled, but it was one of those double meaning smiles.

What was up her sleeve?

"If," She finally started talking again. "You can catch me!" she yelled before taking flight down the track like someone had just announced a truck full of snickers had crashed. That's more of a me scenario, but still.

"Not fair!" I yelled running after her. I really thought we were gonna just stand around and do nothing. Deep down I knew it was too good to be true.

//

After chasing L.J around for what seemed like years, actually doing the track drills and the huge amounts of water I had gulped down I had finally gotten the chance to shower and go home.

The go home part was what I was happy about the most but apparently, L.J had other plans.

"I had set this up before we had the whole talk about me and Avery meddling with your love life and I couldn't just cancel!" She spoke as we got into my car.

"Yes you could have, you had plenty of time from that conversation til now, you could have literally told him you set this up without my knowledge he already knows your crazy so he'd believe it!" I say matter of factly.

"Chill Darren all you're doing is going over to his house with Avery and I so we can do our Biology project," She cheesed once she pulled out from the parking lot.