Chapter 23

Days go by, and soon turn to weeks. I haven't talked to Prince Riley since that night.....

I wake up and pull on my maids uniform, ready for another day of slaving away over cleaning rooms. I can only pray that I don't have to speak to Riley or any other vampires today.

As I walk out into the hallway, I greet James, who is also on his way to clean gosh knows what.

"Hey James."I say with a smile, and hug him. James barely hugs back though, his posture is tense, and a frown is plastered on his face. He gently pushes me away before trying to continue down the hallway.

"James!" I shout, running to catch up to him as he quickly moved down the hall. He doesn't stop walking, but I give one last attempt to get him to listen.

"JAMES!"I scream as I latch onto his arm with all my might. Finally, he stops walking, and turns to me, ever so slowly.

"Cameron, I can't do this right now, please go bother someone else."He says, almost as a whisper.

"What's wrong? Did I do something?"I ask.

"Cameron"-he sighs-"Prince Riley has been upset with you, and by being with you, he will be upset with me also, and I can't risk that. I'm sorry."James says before rushing off.

I stand there, baffled at what he just said. Why is Riley holding a grudge?! Maybe I should tell him what I saw....

No, I can't tell him what I saw, he might hurt me, ugh, what do I do?

I spend the next few hours cleaning guest rooms, the kitchen, and anything I can clean to waste my time.

By lunch time, I've decided I just go talk to Prince Riley, and so I begin to make my way towards his office.

*knock knock*

After I knock on the office door, I hear no response, so decide to walk in anyway.

I open the door, and notice that Riley is entranced in his work, paperwork scattered over his desk, and some papers crumpled onto the floor.

Being the maid I am, I begin to gather the things off the floor, and throw them away. Then I walk over to Riley, and try to speak with him.

"Master?"I say, barely a whisper, but he doesn't seem to hear me.

"Prince Riley?"I ask once again, louder this time, but still nothing.

"Riley."I say as I gently tough his shoulder, and he grabs me and backs me against a wall, clearly out of whatever trance he once was in. He stares deeply into my eyes, making me feel more vulnerable than I though I could possible feel.

"I-I'm-I'm sorry."I stutter out, still pressed against the wall with him only inches away.

He sighs, and slowly backs away from me, motioning for me to sit down on the sofa that day against the wall. I sit down, hands folded in my lap, and he joins me on the sofa.

"Cameron."I feel a shiver as he says my name, for the first time in forever it feels like. I sigh, and look up at his eyes, which seem to convey feelings of frustration and hurt. Maybe ignoring him hurt him more than I thought it would.

"I saw Jessica"I blurt out, and then quickly cover my mouth with my hands.  His eyes widen, and he runs his hand through his hair.

"What did you see?"He asks, frustration laced in his tone.

"I saw that you really loved her."I say, and he growls out, fangs extending, I scoot slightly over and continue.

"I also saw the night of your turning.  I was there."I say quietly, and then he stands up, begins to pace the room. 

"How did you see that, how were you there?!"He shouts.  I don't know if he truly wants me to answer, but I answer anyways. 

"I'm not sure, but when I've been bitten I get thrown into memories.  I'm sorry, master."I whisper.  He slows his pacing, and eventually sits back at his desk. 

"Thank you for telling me this, but I need some time to process what you've just told me.  Come to my room tonight, 8:00 sharp.  Then, we will talk."He says gently, motioning for me to walk out the door.

I walk to the door, then look back to meet Riley's eyes, before leaving the room, and gently closing the door behind me.

Time seems to move excruciatingly slow, but eventually 7:58 seems to roll around.  I walk towards his room, and take a deep breath.

*knock *knock*

I knock on his door, and await the chaos that will soon ensue...