Chapter 24

"Come in." Prince Riley speaks in his deep husky voice.

I slowly turn the knob on the door, pushing it open. Prince Riley is sitting at a desk looking over documents. His gaze is fixated on whatever paper he is reading, and I decide to walk towards him. I put my hand on his shoulder and try to see what he's reading, but he quickly fixated his gaze on me and his eyes flash red.

I slowly take my hand off of his shoulder and back away. His eyes only get red when he's mad or hungry, two things that could have very bad outcomes. Prince Riley looks away to regain his composure and stands up and walks toward me, this time his eyes return to their natural beautiful color.

"Sit down." He rumbles out. Gosh why does his voice have to be so hot, yet he is so cruel. One minute he is screaming at me and the next he is kind....why can't he make up his mind?

I walk over to a chair that sits in front of a warm cracklings fire. Riley walks over and sits in the chair next to me. The reflection of the fire leaves a warm glow to his face, and his eyes glimmer in the light.

"Prince Riley-" I start to say but he cuts me off.

"You may call me Riley since we are alone." He says. My heart beat starts to accelerate because I realize the state we are currently in. Sitting in front of the warm fire, in his room, alone, me wearing some slutty maids outfit. I try to pull my skirt down, but it only rises up more. I cross my legs and take a deep breath, trying to remain calm and stay composed. Never show a vampire your fear.

"Ok, Prince-uh-I mean...Riley. What did you want to talk about?"I barely whisper out. I know the answer, but I worry that he might lash out if I say something wrong or upset him.

"Her name was Jessica."He says just above a whisper.  His eyes sparkle in the fire as he looks almost ashamed.  I scoot my chair closer and I put my hand on his arm, trying to comfort him.  He looks up from the fire at me, eyes glossed over.  His emotions quickly shift though, and he throws my hand off of him as he stands and starts pacing."

"What's wrong?"I ask.  He is pacing back and forth, pulling at his hair, and his breathing is erratic.  If this continues then he'll lose it, so I try to cower away.

"Why would I tell you this?  Why are you seeing into my head and receiving my memories, why you?"He spits out, walking towards me and grabbing my arms in his larger callused hands.  I can feel my back warm  as I am standing against the fire, near the chair where I was sitting only moments ago.  I try to look away as the tears glisten in my eyes from fear, but I swallow my fear down and look up into his eyes.

"I'm sorry.  I don't know."I say, gathering the little courage I have.  I look deeply into his gaze, trying not to shrink back into the fire as I so long to do.  He slowly brings his hand up to the side of my face, brushing hair behind my ear.  My heart beat is beating a thousand times per second, and I don't know what to do.

"I can hear your heart beat.  Do I make you nervous?"  He whispers into my ear.  His head is buried in the crook of my neck, and he begins to leave a trail of butterfly kisses upon my collar bone.  My breath comes out shaky, and my voice cracks as I try to stutter out my next sentence.

"I-I-I."  I stutter, but can't even finish my thought.  I can't even form a sentence in my head.  He spins me around and softly pushes me into the chair by the fire.  He turns his back towards me and I can see his deep breaths as his shoulders move up and down.  He turns to face me.

"Why do you make me feel this way?"He groans.

"I don't know."I say barely audible.  I look at the ground, and fold my hands in my lap.

"I don't think it's coincidence that you see my memories.  It's almost as if you were meant to be a part of me.  Ugh why?!"He starts to pull at his hair and sits down in the chair next to me, his head in his hands.  His shoulders are slumped over, and for once he almost seems vulnerable.  Am I his weakness?

I stand up from my chair, my knees wobbling as I do so.  I kneel at his feet, and gently pry his hands from his face.  He looks down at me, he has a face that I can't quite read.  I take both of his hands in mine, and straddle him in the chair. 

"What are you going to do about this?  I'm only a mere human pet.  I'm nothing."I say softly.

"But you're something to me.  I don't know why, but I haven't been able to get you out of my head since I first got you."He said, placing my hands on his shoulders as he wraps his arms around my waist. 

"Who are you?"He asks.

"I'm nobody.  I'm a human pet named Cameron.  All of my past masters have given me up because I'm useless, disobedient, ugly-"I can't finish my sentence before Riley smashes his lips onto mine, effectively shutting me up.  The kiss lasts shorter then I would've liked as he pulled away.

"You're beautiful, don't ever say otherwise."He says gently, his hand caressing the side of my face. 

I slowly slide myself off of him and the chair and stand up, walking towards the fire and sitting before it, absorbing its' heat.  I hear Riley sigh, and he joins me by the fire. He pulls me into his lap so my back is against his chest, and I lean into him.  Something about this just seems....right.  Like two puzzle pieces fitting together.

"Let me take you to lunch tomorrow.  Then maybe we can figure this out."  He whispers into my ear, rubbing his hand up and down my arm.  I simply nod and smile.  I take his hand in mine and I close my eyes.  The warmth of the fire and the slow rise and fall of his chest slowly lulls me to sleep.