Chapter 29: Star

Keller styles my hair as if we're having a sleepover. Najee is cooking on a portable stove. It feels like any other night at the compound, prepping for the next mission.

"We need something sleek and professional." Keller looks at my hair and brings my bangs back down right after she spent the last hour putting them up. I don't really care, it's just nice to be together.

"Smells good!" Kader yells to Najee and John in their makeshift kitchen in the back corner of the room.

"Almost done." John calls back happily. Najee slides Kader a look and Kader chuckles as he continues playing his PSP, that ancient piece of junk, but he loves it. I don't know how he keeps finding the original games.

"We need to get disguises tomorrow." I tell them.

"It's called shopping, Star." Keller flips her now unbraided hair and tucks it behind her ears. Kader flips off the bed and rushes at Keller, grabbing her by her shoulders.

"I love you, Keller." Kader says squeezing her "but I hate shopping with you."

"She's going to hit you, you know." I roll my eyes at him. Keller turns toward him slowly, she runs her hand through her hair and twists it.

"Kader..." Keller's voice is sweet as honey.

"I'd run if I were you." I warn him. Keller punches me in the arm "let him make his own decisions, Star." She plasters a smile on her face "albeit a stupid one, but his own none the less."

"You should run." Najee calls to Kader. I glance over to find a smile on his face as he flips something in a pan and shakes it.

"Kader..." Keller rests her hands delicately on his chest. Kader smiles as if he's just gotten away with murder.

"Keller and I can be honest with each other without one of us freaking out." Kader says rolling his eyes.

"Delusions are not part of your defect, Kader." I say, "so you should probably get that checked out."

"Kader..." Keller digs her nails into his shirt and slams him up against the wall "for all that I put up with you for, you can go shopping with me." She screams and throws him onto the ground. Kader rolls onto his hands and knees but doesn't dare try to get up.

"Babe, I was kidding." Kader forces out a laugh. "I love shopping with you, trying on all those unnecessary clothes and helping you zip and unzip hundreds of dresses." Kader holds his hands up in surrender. Keller grabs his ear.

"I watched you spend two and a half hours picking out a belt that you've literally never worn. I didn't complain once and you're going to mock me about my shopping habits?"

"Owe owe owe, Keller, it was a joke." Kader winces. "Ha-ha, funny."

"After all the times, I've saved your life and killed all those stink bugs for you." Keller yells at him.

"I've killed thousands of spiders for you." Kader tries to redeem himself.

I glance toward John who's already looking at me. I can't see it on his face but I know the conflict is making him uncomfortable. I also know he's thinking of back at his house, when I told him our fears. I suppress a laugh, Keller can't hurt me but I don't want to fight with her tonight either.

"I'm sorry." Kader whines holding her hand to relieve some of the pain. Keller releases him and smiles.

"I guess I can forgive you." She helps Kader off the ground and wraps her arms around his waist. He encircles her in his long arms and they hug and it's sweet and it's not broken, they're not broken. Not like I am. Not like Najee is.

No Pain: Book 1On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara