Chapter 41: Star

I can say I wanted a midnight snack. No one will question it. I'm just being a girl craving some sugar. I'm not a threat. No one ever sees me as a threat.

"Don't." Najee's voice touches my ears. Its small, desperate sounding, not at all like the Najee I know.

I shove open the doors to the kitchen. A girl has Najee pressed against the wall. His hands are up as if he's trying to keep from touching her but her hands are inside of his shirt. I'm aware of anger simmering inside of me but this is a kind of anger, I'm not used to. It doesn't ignite, it's not explosive, I'm not in danger of seeing red. Instead it's slow, calculating as I step inside.

"Star..." He sighs sounding relieved.

"What's going on?" I ask pinning the girl with the anger I'm sure she can see in them. I'm moving slowly, it's almost annoying but I can't seem to move any faster right now.

Danielle steps back "is this your boyfriend?" She sounds innocent but her stance isn't surprised, its aggravated.

"Yes" I say calmly, the anger I'm feeling is not jealousy. I know what jealousy feels like, especially when it comes to Najee and another girl, not that he's ever returned interest. Most girls don't stand this close to him, they don't put their hands on him and undress him.

"I thought you said you were single!" She snaps at Najee. Najee's jaw drops. He shouldn't be surprised, he must have known she'd play that card if it came to it. I slide a look at Najee, his face is red, he's uncomfortable, maybe even little scared.

"This was his idea?" I ask her.

She nods "I swear, I never would have let him if I knew he was with someone."

I walk to Najee and take his hand. He's shaking. He's looking at me, pleading with me not to believe her.

"You say you let him, correct?" I ask falling into my methodical maybe even a little sadistic interrogation method. While the red takes away all of my senses, this anger is crystal clear, cold even. I see everything, I hear everything but at the same time everything else I drowned out. I can't think about the mission, I can't think about how breakable this girl is. She touched Najee, she made him uncomfortable.

She nods "of course."

"Why, then, was he the one against the wall?"

"He pulled me against him." She rolls her eyes as if I'm an idiot for not believing her.

"His hands weren't touching you." I say.

"He's a man, you can't possibly be thinking I made him want me."

"Except, he didn't want you." I say advancing on her, leaving Najee behind me. My eyes feel like a scope trained on her.

"And you're right." I say as I close in on her. She's a lot taller than me but she can feel some form of danger because she backs away.

"He is a man, a real man." My hands close around her neck, the skin immediately turning red as my nails dig into her porcelain skin her. She is pliable in my hands as I yank her toward me and slam her into the wall. Somethings familiar about her "He's loyal and honest and you tried to hurt him knowing if he fought back you could turn the tables to anyone else." I slam her into the wall again. My other hand flying up, I want to punch her but that'll leave too much of a bruise, before my hand makes contact I open it and the smack echoes throughout the kitchen. She shrieks, she's terrified, so terrified she can't even attempt to fight me. I pull her down to my level and bring my lips to her ear.