Chapter 35: Star

"I know Kader and I make breaking up and fighting look fun but it's a little different with Najee and you." Keller says when Kader, Najee and John step into a store to get their disguises.

"We weren't together, so we didn't break up." I tell her. Keller rolls her eyes and angles us toward a store called Working Girl.

"Come on, Star, tell me what he did at least." Keller presses.

"Keller." I set my jaw and fix her with a look. "don't ask me about it again." Keller's mouth is frozen as she looks at me, she's surprised. I don't usually use this look on her but Najee and I are not even on the list of things I want to talk about.

"I'm sorry." She says with a nod. She takes a second to compose herself and smiles "let's try on some clothes." She says pulling me into the store.

"Petite little thing." A whisper comes from the counter to our right, A middle-aged woman smiles at us from behind the counter. "Can I help you with anything?" She looks me up and down "we carry petite but..." she steps out from the counter and purses her lips "I don't know if we have anything as petite as you." It's not a jab at my height like at the compound.

"But I'm sure we can find something." The woman perks up "my name is Alice, please follow me this way."

Alice is helpful, she takes us to the racks with the shorter skirts, they won't be short on me though. She pulls a few outfits and accessories for both Keller and me but Keller just can't help herself. She grabs more blazers and skirts and blouses, necklaces, bracelets and shoes and finally, Keller allows Alice to take us to the dressing rooms. Alice gives us the biggest dressing room to share. Keller dresses me and then herself. I stand there like her own personal doll as she arranges my hair and straightens my blazer.

"You look great." She squeezes my arms and pulls me out of the room to show Alice.

"You two look amazing." Alice gushes, sounding a lot like Keller. She turns to Keller "I don't suppose you're looking for a job?"

"Sorry," Keller giver Alice an apologetic pout "just got hired."

Alice sighs, "of course, all the good ones are." She smiles at Keller "are we doing a little more shopping or have we found our pieces?" Alice asks. "because we do have a new collection that just got in and I think you're the type to appreciate it."

Keller looks me over, she's measuring the length of the mission and the outfits she's put together for me in the room. As well as my tolerance for this kind of thing.

"I think we've found our pieces." Keller drags me back in the room takes the suit back and throws my jeans and shirt at me. I dress quickly but not as quickly as Keller. I'm just zipping up my sweater while Keller has already gotten all the outfits and accessories put together. She lays the pile over her arms and walks out. Alice is adjusting her own outfit when we exit. Alice seems startled by us but that's not unusual. Keller is fast at just about everything, something to do with her abnormality. Her rubber-like bones just move differently, they can bend without effort. No one's sure how, but people with her kind of abnormality tend to do things faster. It's good though. It helps her keep up with Kader.

"Great choices, ladies." Alice takes the outfits from Keller and carries them to the register.

Keller is all too happy to swipe the mission card, she has plenty of money for it but she always used the mission card. She's the reason the lower groups get a limit on their mission cards. We're the best though, everything we get is the top stuff. Top gear, although between Drew and a more low-tech approach, we don't use that too much. Regardless, each of us has a card without a limit, although mine doesn't work anymore.