Battle of the Holidays

"Thank you for shopping at Magnolia Mart. We will be closing in five minutes. Please make your final selections and bring them to the front. We will gladly check you out. We will reopen tomorrow at eight AM for your shopping convenience. And as always, thank you for shopping at your local Magnolia Mart."

Natsu grinned. Or, he tried to grin. He still had a while until the spell would activate, giving him and his fellow Halloween friends the gift of life. See, Natsu was a dragon statue. During shopping hours he was an item available to be purchased, but when the employees clocked out and the doors locked, the Halloween decorations came alive.

No one knew how it started, or who was responsible for casting the spell. Somehow they all just knew about it, and that was what they accepted as fact. Everyone was just glad for the spell since it gave them a little bit of freedom.

Of course there was another aspect of the spell that Natsu had not been a fan of at first. Halloween decorations weren't the only ones to come to life. Christmas decorations were the same way, and that infuriated him.

It wasn't Natsu's fault he had a hatred for Christmas. It was hardwired into his brain when he was built at the factory. All Halloween items felt the same way as him. It made it worse that Halloween stuff were set up the week after Labor Day, and Christmas was set up the next week after that.

Why the hell couldn't Christmas just chill out?

Could it not wait until Thanksgiving was over with before stomping its way into the store?

These were some of the default thoughts programmed into Natsu's brain. Natsu glared at the other end of the store. Halloween was set up in two aisles while Christmas got three aisles and a huge middle area for their decorated trees.

The nerve of them!

He loved it when it was just Halloween for a week. They partied, brawled, and had a grand old time. Natsu wished it could have lasted longer, but there was nothing to be done about it now. At least this gave him someone to fight!

Natsu heard someone make another announcement, claiming the store was now closed. It wouldn't be long until he could stretch his wings and join the fight. Yes, Halloween really disliked Christmas. As soon as the spell would take over, the creepy decorations would attack!

Natsu's marble eyes stared over at the Christmas aisle. It was only half-full since they were still setting up. It gave Halloween an advantage which they definitely needed. More customers were prone to buying Halloween over Christmas this time of year, so it made sense when their numbers started to drop.

No one blamed the items that were sold though. That was the goal, to go home with someone. Everyone was also programmed to want a home, a family to call their own. It was celebrated when a Halloween item was sold, but it still effected their fight.

Christmas seemed so pretentious. At first they didn't want to fight. They tried to say peace was the better option, but Halloween wasn't falling for it. After a few strikes Christmas had retaliated, then the war started.

Natsu felt his heart pulse. It was almost time.

He glanced over, seeing the cat skeleton a few shelves down from him. That was his best friend, Happy. He would have a hard time being sold, and that broke Natsu's heart. See, a few days ago a pesky kid took Happy over to the spray paint aisle and decided he would look much better in the color blue. The damage already took a toll on the poor cat. Most of his brothers and sisters were being sold, but he was left ignored.

It pained Natsu's heart, but Happy wasn't alone.

Natsu wasn't made correctly at the factory. All the other dragon statues were black or dark brown, their eyes glowing red. Natsu didn't know how it happened, but he came out with a pink tint on his scales, his eyes a flat black with green flakes in them. He felt awkward at first, but now he just felt crummy.