It's the thought that counts

"Yeah, I shouldn't be too long," Lucy said, her phone pressed against her ear. "I'm just going to pick up the book I was telling you about."

"Lu, you and I both know you're not going to just pick up a book. When was the last time you spent less than twenty minutes in a bookstore?"

Lucy found herself stifling a laugh, knowing Levy was right. She was notorious for spending hours at a bookstore, combing through countless shelves to add to her overflowing collection. She couldn't help it. Levy tried convincing her to switch to e-books, telling her it would save space. Lucy didn't give in.

There was something about holding a book in her hands, turning the crisp or worn pages that made her soul feel alive. She preferred real books, and she was positive nothing was going to change that.

"Okay, so maybe I'll browse a little." Lucy walked down the sidewalk, hearing the busy traffic all around her. She could have taken her car, but what fun was that? The weather was beautiful and her body craved excitement. She didn't receive that driving the short distance from her house to the bookstore. It was boring even if she took the scenic route, which involved driving past Lucy's favorite local bakery where a lovely redhead sold the best homemade cakes in Magnolia.

Lucy's stomach growled, but she ignored it. She could swing by that bakery on her way back since it wasn't too far out of the way. She just hoped it would still be opened by the time she left.

"You're ridiculous," Levy teased, a soft giggle traveling through the line. "Oh, Gajeel's here. Gotta go!"

"Have fun!"

Lucy heard the girl say her goodbye before the phone hung up, leaving Lucy by herself. She didn't mind being alone. After growing up with her negligent father, Lucy had grown to enjoy her own company. She could spend the whole day by herself and not get bored. Sure, she liked having friends around, but if she had to be by herself, she was content too.

Lucy crossed the street when it was her turn, looking up at the sign to one of her favorite restaurants. Their delicious meals and great staff earned them Lucy's business. Whenever she got to pick the place her friends would hang out at for dinner, she always chose 'Fairy Tail'. It was convenient for her too, seeing as it was a short walk from her house.

Lucy didn't think anything of it when she glanced at the large windows of the restaurant, seeing the patrons gathered at tables. One particular man caught Lucy's eyes, her brows raising when she noted his brightly colored hair. She couldn't help but wonder if it was naturally pink or if he dyed it. Either way, she found it intriguing. She looked to see who he was eating with, eyes widening when he saw the seat was vacant.

She looked at the man, seeing him sip a glass of water. Her cheeks tinted pink when she noticed he was attractive, but she couldn't appreciate his features too much, her eyes tearing away from the scene a second later.

'It's none of my business,' she told herself, continuing her journey. 'His date is probably running late.'

Lucy pushed the image of the man out of her head, replacing it with the idea of venturing around the bookstore. She had one book in mind she wanted to buy, but that didn't mean she wasn't open to the idea of getting more. Her chest filled with excitement as the store's sign came into view, her pulse picking up just as her feet did the same.

Lucy laughed at herself as she left the bookstore, one hour later. She had found the book she was looking for immediately, but between the free cookies they were passing out and the new releases, Lucy found herself entranced, forgetting about the outside world.