20

Before I knew it, it was nearly November and L.A. had begun to get colder in the mornings. The days became shorter and suddenly we were leading into the middle of fall.

As time went on, I had gradually forgotten about my life outside of Los Angeles. It sometimes hit me that I still had a family and a group of friends back home in Miami. Only just a few weeks ago my mom had given birth to a baby boy, who they named Axel Jeremy Whisey. He didn't have my last name as he was in fact Bruce's son.

I hadn't kept in much contact with them over the past few months because my life had been a whirlwind, but Mom occasionally sent through photos of Axel to which I typed a quick reply in between schedules.

Jeremy was still in a coma in the hospital, and there were no signs of him improving any time soon. Everyday felt like it would be his last.

Life had been crazy, I'm not going to lie. I was one week out from turning eighteen, and I felt like a stressed sixty year old on the brink of retirement.

As a way to de-stress myself, Tristan helped me plan my eighteenth birthday party which was going to be this Saturday night at the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. I left it mainly up to him so that he could plan all the invites and everything and so that I could get myself organized in time for the day.

On the Saturday, I drove over to Michelle's with all of the stuff I needed to get ready before the party. I decided to wear a black minidress, while Michelle wore a purple dress that went down to her calves.

"Do you know what Tristan has planned for tonight?" I asked as one of my makeup artists plastered my face with powder.

"I do, but I don't want to be that person who ruins it. So you're going to have to wait," she giggled, looking over at me from where her makeup artist was doing the same to her face.

"Am I going to like it?" I asked in a giggle.

"I'm not telling you!" she groaned.

I rolled my eyes. There went my stale attempt at trying to find out some information from her.

We left about an hour later and were driven to the Roosevelt Hotel in the back of a black shiny Jeep. When we got out, I noticed the turn out was already quite amazing even though it was only early in the night.

Michelle walked ahead of me and led me to the back of the hotel, where there was the pool and party area. The music was already pumping loud and people were dancing around the perimeter of the pool with alcohol in their hands.

The pool was a shade of light blue and the lights reflected softly onto the faces of the guests at my party. As soon as one person noticed I arrived, suddenly everyone at the party was hugging me. Michelle handed me the closest bottle of champagne and poured a glass for me and herself.

"My girl!" shouted a voice from behind me. I turned around to see Sara and Brad run towards me. Brad looked rather uncomfortable following Sara around as he stood in his khaki pants and white canvas shoes. While I cursed Tristan in my head for inviting them both, I was also thankful that they could be here on such a big night of mine.

Sara wrapped her arms around my neck and embraced me in a hug, while I looked past her shoulder to see Brad looking down at his feet.

"How did you guys get out here?" I asked after I pulled away from the hug.

"We flew out this morning and we're staying here for a few nights then flying home Tuesday morning," Sara beamed. I already wanted her to leave.

Meredith wrapped her hands around my waist from behind and hugged me.