Part One - Chapter Eleven: Telling Cristiano

Nicole chewed on her lip as she sat in her hospital room having her session of chemo while she watched the Real Madrid vs. Lyon match on the television.

She had declined Cristiano’s offer of going to the match because of her appointment and she knew that he had been disappointed.

The brunette couldn’t shake what Caroline had said to her on their shopping trip only days before, while she hadn’t gotten to ask how the Brazilian knew she had leukaemia.

Nicole knew that Caroline would tell her when she was ready, but her time to tell Cristiano the truth was rapidly approaching.

Nicole knew it was only a matter of time until the press discover that she was dating Cristiano and then it was only time until they did a background search on her and her leukaemia would come to light and be out for all to see.

“Don’t think too hard, you’ll get a headache,” Allison Silva teased as she stepped into the room, she was Dr Silva’s wife, who just so happened to work at the hospital as a midwife.

She often came to visit the brunette when she had an appointment since Nicole was often alone when she came now.

Nicole sighed and looked at Allison who pulled a chair up to sit next to the brunette, she could see that something was bothering the younger woman; she hoped that she would be able to help her since there was enough on Nicole’s mind with her illness.

“Okay what’s his name?” she asked making Nicole swallow the lump in her throat, Allison raised an eyebrow as Nicole glanced at the television where Cristiano was struggling to regain control on the ball.

“I don’t know if I can tell him,” Nicole said softly making Allison follow her gaze to the television in confusion before she understood, she knew little about the brunette but she knew that the young woman was related to a footballer.

The brunette sighed as she looked down at her hands as all the doubt that she had inside of her took hold.

“I mean why Cristiano Ronaldo would want someone like me when he could be dating models like Irina again?” Nicole asked, she knew the answer without having to ask.

There was no way that he could be interested in her when she told him what was going on, how she had an illness that could easily take her life.

Tears pooled in her eyes as she thought of what could happen when Cristiano discovered the truth of her illness, she knew that Caroline had been right; she had to end it with Cristiano if not for his sake then her own.

Allison sighed and pulled the younger woman into a light hug, being careful that she didn’t pull out intravenous drip; she hoped that her words of wisdom would be able to help the younger woman.

***

Nicole sighed as she sat on her couch in the living room with her head in her hands; she was carefully not to touch much of her hair in case it fell out.

The brunette had texted Cristiano, once his match had finished so she knew he had gotten her text about coming round that evening to see her.

Nicole had decided it was time to tell her boyfriend of a three weeks that she was putting an end to their relationship; the brunette looked down at her hands as she took them from her head, and frowned as she watched her hands shake.

Nicole closed her brown eyes tightly and took a deep breath as she tried to steady herself, she wasn’t surprised that there was an insistent knocking at her door, since she had told Cristiano it was important that she saw him.

Nicole stood from her couch and headed for her front door, she knew this was going to be difficult but it was for the best. 

Nicole opened the door to see Cristiano, who was wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap so no one would recognise him; the brunette moved aside allowing the worried Cristiano in, and as soon as the door had been closed he pulled Nicole to him.