Part One - Chapter Twenty-Four: The Unexpected

Nicole wasn’t sure what was wrong with her but she knew that there was something definitely wrong; over the last few weeks, Nicole had been heading to the bathroom every half an hour, she was more tired than usual and her breasts were sensitive.

Cristiano was concerned about what was happening to his girlfriend but Nicole refused to go to the doctor, passing it off as the after-effects of the chemo; she knew that if it was anything serious then she didn’t want to deal with it right now.

The couple were still in Portugal while Cristiano continued to train for the World Cup, Nicole spent time with his mother and older sisters when she wasn’t feeling too ill; they had taken the brunette under their wings since she had arrived.

Nicole groaned as she flushed the toilet again, she had just finished being sick and she couldn’t help but be thankful that her boyfriend was at training and wouldn’t be back until later.

“Why me?” she asked letting her head rest on the toilet seat and closed her eyes, she was slightly sweaty and it made her feel worse about what was happening to her; the brunette didn’t want to face the fact that maybe her positive test results had been wrong.

Nicole sat quietly for a few seconds before someone behind her cleared their throat making her look back behind her to find Elma and Katia looking at her concerned.

She swallowed knowing that there was nothing that she could say to make them keep this quiet from their brother.

“We’ve got something for you,” Elma said nervously making Nicole lift her head slightly in question, she seriously hoped that it wasn’t something to hint at the fact that this was more than an aftereffect of the chemo.

Katia smiled softly and handed the brunette the brown paper bag that they had brought with them, she knew what had happened was truly a blessing after everything that Nicole had been through in the last few months and now she had this gift.

Elma smiled at her younger sister knowing that this was probably going to be a bit of a shock for the brunette.

Their mother had sent them since Cristiano had mentioned that his girlfriend had been feeling a bit poorly recently and they knew it was time to tell her what they all knew but she didn’t.

Nicole carefully opened the bag and swallowed heavily at its contents, she stared dumbfounded as she realised what Dolores had been trying to tell her during the birthday party; she looked up at Elma and Katia in disbelief.

“I can’t be… it’s not possible,” the brunette whispered as she stared in shock, she knew that there was no way that this could be happening right now.

***

By the time Cristiano had returned home, his sisters had gone to their respective homes leaving Nicole to come to terms with what they had given her; the brunette couldn’t seem to wrap her head around the possibility that this was happening.

Nicole was sitting outside not wanting to face Cristiano just yet, since she was sure how he would take the revelation that his sisters had left her with and it scared her.

Toby sat quietly at her feet with Kodiak, wagging their tails at her while Nicole nervously played with her fingers; her blue eyes focused on the promise ring that lay on her finger.

Cristiano slipped into the garden knowing that something was wrong; Nicole always seemed to sit in the garden in silence when something was bothering her and it often brought worry to him wondering what had gone wrong.

“Coli?” he asked making the brunette bit her lip and look down as she tried to figure out how she could tell him; she knew that they had been planning this especially since she’d not long finished chemo and had been cleared of leukaemia.

Cristiano frowned hoping that every time something went wrong he wouldn’t have to try and break through Nicole’s walls so he could find out what was wrong; he hated when she shut him out and it scared him why she would do it.

“I’m fine,” she said smiling up slightly at Cristiano, who sighed and sat down behind her allowing Nicole to lean back against him; she felt him wrap his arms around her knowing that she couldn’t keep him in the dark for long.

“You know you can tell me anything,” the footballer said as he tried to ease her mind, he hated that she was holding something back from him but he understand; she’d tell him when she was ready and he hoped that it would be soon.

“I know,” Nicole said as she smiled back at him, she just didn’t know how to break the news to him that she was pregnant with his child.

It had seemed impossible since they’d used protection and the doctor had told her it was highly unlike she would fall pregnant anytime soon after her chemotherapy but yet she had.

***

Elma sipped on her coffee as she looked at Nicole, she had insisted that the brunette come out shopping with her to take her mind off the shock of yesterday; she knew that it would take some getting used to for both her brother and his girlfriend.

“So when are you going to tell Cristiano?” Elma asked curiously, she was a little un-nerved that the brunette hadn’t told her brother the wonderful news but she could understand why Nicole had yet to tell him after everything that she had been through.

“After I’ve checked everything through with a doctor, I want to be sure that everything is okay first,” the brunette said as she thought back over her months of chemo.

She knew she’d only had a weak dosage and for only a short time but she had hoped that they’d have a couple of years before they attempted to fall pregnant.

Elma nodded her head, she knew that this wasn’t going to be easy and there were risks for Nicole since she’d just completed a course of chemo just weeks before she had fallen pregnant but this was a miracle no matter what anyone said about it.

Nicole sipped on her drink as she noticed that they were being watched, the brunette furrowed her brow as she realised that it was Cristiano’s ex-girlfriend; she looked at Elma who had also seemed to notice the Russian model who was across the hall from them.

“That’s weird,” Nicole said making Elma nod as they finished eating and went back to shopping, they had some time left before Cristiano wanted Nicole back and his sister wanted to do some more shopping.

Irina frowned as she watched Elma and Nicole walk away, she didn’t like how close the brunette had become to her footballer’s family; they had never warmed to Irina and she could never understand why.

Irina pursed her lips as she walked away from the food court and headed for Jesse who had also been watching the two women; she smirked as she saw the look of anger that was on his face.

Jesse hadn’t considered the thought that Nicole had been growing close with not only with the footballer but his family as well; however none of that matter since he’d soon have Nicole back.

Jesse smiled as he slipped back into the shadows; it was nearly time for Irina’s plan to be put into action.

“I’ll see you soon Nicole,” he said as he left the brunette alone with her friend, a smile forming on his face; he glanced at the model knowing that everything was going to work out.