Part Two - Chapter Twenty-Three: Wedding Planning

Cristiano groaned as he rolled over and wrapped his arms tiredly around his fiancée, he really didn’t want to get up since it meant dealing with his mother who had arrived to help them organise their wedding.

Dolores had brought pictures of several beautiful catholic churches in Portugal for them to view for the wedding since it was now late February and the couple wished to be married in late September.

Nicole and Cristiano had yet to inform Dolores that Nicole was in fact protestant and of the important fact that they didn’t want to get married in a church at all; it just wasn’t something that appealed to either of them.

Nicole smiled at her fiancé as Cristiano pulled her closer, not wanting to get up just yet since they hardly had anytime alone; the brunette placed a soft kiss on his lips making Cristiano grin as he held her closer.

“We have to get up,” she whispered giving Cristiano another kiss making him frown as he pushed himself and kept their lips locked; he really didn’t like that he didn’t have time with her anymore.

The couple had dealt with their four month old being ill and now with Dolores’s arrival, it seemed like the universe didn’t want them to have any time alone with one another other than to sleep.

However before they could get any further, Dolores walked into their room and pulled open the blinds making Nicole and Cristiano frown at her; it wasn’t the first time since she had arrived that she had barged in on the couple like that when they had tried to be intimate.

“Come along… we have so much planning to do and so little time,” Dolores said not looking at her youngest son and his fiancée; Nicole pulled away from Cristiano as Dolores pulled the bedroom door shut.

The brunette sighed knowing that they were going to have to tell her sooner or later that they wouldn’t be getting married in a church; something that she had her heart set on.

Nicole climbed out of bed and pulled on her bathrobe so that she could head downstairs, she wasn’t sure how much more of Dolores’s planning that she could take; she knew the older woman meant well but it was driving her up the wall.

Cristiano watched her leave the room before sighing, he knew his mother had always dreamt of him getting married in a catholic church back home in Portugal, but it wasn’t something that Cristiano or Nicole wanted.

The couple had agreed to raise their children as Christian, regardless of Cristiano being a roman catholic and Nicole being a liberal protestant; however since his family were traditionally catholic, Cristiano wasn’t too sure how they would take it when he told them what was planned.

The footballer quickly pulled on a shirt that lay near the end of the bed before he made his way out of the room and downstairs; he knew that he needed to talk with his mother.

Entering the kitchen, Cristiano wasn’t surprised to see his mother talking to Nicole about another catholic church; while the brunette had started to feed Antony his breakfast.

Nicole sent Cristiano an annoyed look that Dolores didn’t see, as she continued to talk about the church she had seen; the footballer kissed his fiancée and sat down next to her as he helped himself to some toast.

“So have you both picked a colour scheme?” Dolores asked pulling out her own journal for the wedding and opening it.

She flicked through pages of planning and ideas that she had before coming to an empty page making Nicole look at her fiancé knowing that they needed to say something soon otherwise they’d end up having the wedding that Dolores wanted and not the one that they wanted.

Cristiano rested his arm on the back of Nicole’s chair as she continued to feed Antony, he knew that his mother meant well but he didn’t want his fiancée feeling pressured into agreeing with everything that she said.

“Deep purple and white,” the footballer said having already discussed this with Nicole, they had talked briefly about what they wanted and he knew that he wasn’t going to change his mind; he wanted his fiancée to have the day that she wanted.

Dolores pursed her lips and nodded as she jotted down what Cristiano had said slightly disapprovingly, while Nicole moved to burp Antony before her fiancé stopped her; he lifted his son into his arms knowing that he needed to do his share of things for his son. 

Dolores smiled as she watched Cristiano burp his son, she had always known he would be a good father and she hoped that he would have more children in the future; the couple seemed like naturals when it came to parenthood even if they did struggle sometimes.

“We could probably get a deal for the wedding and the christening,” Dolores said thoughtfully making the couple look at each other; they knew they’d have to stop her there before she got any other ideas about what she was going to do next.

Cristiano handed Antony back to Nicole and sighed nervously, he knew his mother would be a little upset with what he was about to say; she liked to have things her own way.

“We’ve decided not to have the christening until next November after Antony’s first birthday,” Cristiano said carefully as he watched his mother, he tried to keep his voice calm as he watched her knowing that she was upset.

Dolores pursed her lips and frowned but she nodded anyway before she turned to Nicole who was trying to pre-occupy herself with Antony; she knew that the brunette was behind this and she wasn’t happy.

“Very well,” Dolores said as she produced more brochures making Nicole glance at Cristiano who rubbed her back, knowing now was probably the best time for them to tell her about that as well.

Dolores set the brochures for the churches on the table, she knew that they would love the ideas that she had brought for them; she knew they had to like at least one of the churches that she had found for them to look at.

“Mãe the thing is me and Nicole, we don’t want to get married in a church,” Cristiano said making Dolores look at him panicked wondering what was going on.

She had always thought that her youngest would always marry in a church, she had never thought that he would turn around would do this.

Nicole focused on Antony as she tried to ignore the awkward silence that formed in the room after her fiancé’s words; she didn’t know what was going on anymore.

“You’ve always wanted to get married in a catholic church back home,” Dolores said as she quickly turning her attention to Nicole, she knew that this was the brunette’s fault; Cristiano knew where this was heading and it hadn’t just been her decision.

Dolores frowned and quickly stood from the kitchen table, she glared at her future daughter-in-law before she turned around and stormed out of the kitchen ranting in Portuguese

Cristiano winced as the front door slammed before burying his head into Nicole’s neck, he knew that it could have been worse especially since she had her heart on him marrying in church.

“That went better than I thought,” Nicole joked as she looked at her fiancé, she smiled as she felt him kiss her neck, she knew that it would take some time for Dolores to calm down; she just hoped that she came around soon.

Cristiano loved his mother dearly and Nicole knew that he wanted her at the wedding, even if she wasn’t happy it wasn’t going to be in a church.