Part Two - Chapter Twenty-One: FIFA Ballon d'Or 2012

Cristiano smiled as he walked along the red carpet with Nicole, he was thrilled that she had agreed to come with him to Zürich for the FIFA Ballon d'Or; their son was at home with Dolores watching online, since he was only two and a half months old.

Nicole was wearing a black jumpsuit with spaghetti straps paired with black high heels and a black relaxed blazer; she hadn’t wanted to wear a dress and it had taken her some time to find something that she could wear for a ceremony like this.

The footballer kept a hold of his fiancée’s hand, he knew that she was a little bit nervous about coming with him but he wanted to show her off to the world; they had only recently confirmed that they were engaged after a pap had caught sight of Nicole’s engagement ring.

“You okay?” Cristiano asked softly as he ignored the calls to speak with several members of the press, he wasn’t going to give them any exclusive information and he wanted tonight to stand for itself; either way he was leaving a happy man.

Nicole offered him a reassuring look, she knew that he was worried about her; this was a first social event that they had been to since they had gotten back together and had their baby boy.

“I’m fine,” Nicole said as she allowed Cristiano to lead her into the building where the ceremony was being held, the brunette knew that he was nervous; she glanced behind her as they left the cool night behind.

“You know that I’m proud of you no matter what happens right?” the brunette said as she pulled Cristiano to stop, she didn’t care if he won this award; she was the best footballer in the world in her eyes and that was all that mattered.

Cristiano nodded his head as he kissed her lips, he knew that he had the best gift in the world waiting at home for them and he bet any award that he could ever win.

***

“And the winner of the FIFA Ballon d'Or 2012 is… Lionel Messi,” the host announced making Cristiano force a smile, he clapped knowing that he had to keep himself composed; he knew that there would be a backlash of bad press if he was anything but perfect.

Nicole swallowed as she glanced at her fiancé, she knew how much this meant to him and she knew that he would be upset about losing out again to the argentine; he had thought that this would be his year.

“You okay?” Nicole whispered as she watched Lionel give his speech, she knew that Cristiano could hear her as she took his hand in comfort; she gave it a squeeze as she felt him bring it to his lips and press a kiss to it.

The footballer nodded his head knowing that there was always next year, he’d had a tough year in his personal life and now to have everything work out for him and Nicole, it meant more to him than that award did.

“I’ve never been better,” Cristiano replied as the show came to an end, he sighed in relief as he turned his full attention to Nicole.

She was worth more than anything in the world to him and he knew that in the fifteen months that they had been together, he had nearly lost her completely twice.

The brunette smiled at him as she leant forward and kissed his lips, she felt him smile against her lips as he rested a hand on the back of her neck to hold her close to him for a moment.

“Shall we headed back to the hotel?” Nicole asked softly as she pulled back, she was dreading a night away from Antony but she knew that it wouldn’t hurt for one night.

It was a long flight home and Cristiano didn’t have training until the following afternoon, it gave them some time to themselves.

Cristiano nodded his head as he got to his feet and helped Nicole up, he glanced around as he lace their fingers; he couldn’t see anyone that he had to say farewell to before they left.

“Of course,” Cristiano said as he gave Nicole another kiss, he collected his FIFA Pro World XI award; it was the one thing that he had won that night and he had many more that it could join when they got home.

The brunette smiled as she allowed her fiancé to draw her close, she didn’t know what was going through his mind but she could see that he wasn’t that upset about losing to Lionel again.

“You know that I love you,” Cristiano said as he looked at his fiancée, his brown eyes sparkled as he looked at her knowing that everything would be okay; he had her back and he wasn’t going to risk her again, she was his everything.

“I love you too,” Nicole said as she pecked his lips, she grinned as he slowly started to led her from the hall so that they could head back to their hotel room for the night; the footballer knew that he was going to make the most of not having to share Nicole with anyone.

Cristiano frowned as he heard someone call out after them, he didn’t know who would want to speak with him right now; he looked behind him confused to see Lionel Messi walking towards them.

“I just wanted to congratulate you on your engagement and the birth of your son,” Lionel said as he stopped before the couple, he glanced at Nicole knowing that Cristiano was a lucky man.

He had heard what they had been through and he was amazed that they had come out the other side stronger than ever before.

Cristiano blinked as he realised what Lionel had said, he didn’t know what had made the other footballer do so since it wasn’t as if they were friends or anything.

“Obrigado and congrats on your win,” Cristiano said as he nodded his head at the younger man, he knew that he would win it one day and when he did, he would dedicate it to the woman that stood by his side.

***

“I’m so proud of you,” Nicole said as she wrapped her arms around him and kissed him softly, she stood close to him as he carefully removed her blazer; she grinned knowing what he was thinking about.

Cristiano ducked his head down as he pulled the blazer from her shoulders and down her arms, he allowed it to drop to the floor as he cupped her face so he could deepen the kiss.

“Even if I didn’t win?” the footballer teased as he pulled back breathlessly, he smiled as Nicole looked at him annoyed as she ran her fingers through his perfectly styled hair; she grinned as he relaxed at her touch knowing that she was the only one who could do that.

“Of course… you’ll always be a winner in my eyes,” Nicole said as she ran her hands down the back of his neck and rested them on his shoulders, she watched as he shivered slightly at her touch; she still couldn’t believe that they were going to get married.

Cristiano smiled as he dipped his head down slightly and pressed his lips briefly to Nicole’s, she had made the night perfect for him even if he was a little disappointed that he didn’t win.

“And what beautiful eyes they are,” Cristiano said cheesy, he grinned as his fiancée rolled her eyes at him before she kissed his lips; she knew what he wanted and she wanted it just as much.

It had been a long time since they had been alone like this, since Antony had been born they had been completely focused on him and then their engagement; now they finally had each other alone for the night and nothing to distract them.