Prolouge

"Okay, Luce," Kaden sighs, running a hand through his blonde hair.

  I slam my locker closed. His light brown eyes meet mine, and he smiles a charming smile. I can't help but mirror it.

  "Why are you staring at me like that?" He cocks his head to the side, examining me with amused eyes.

  I quickly look away from him, my heart clenching, then cross my arms. "What were you trying to tell me?" I ask, desperately trying to change the subject.

  "Well," Kaden smiles wider. As we walk he throws an arm around my shoulders. If only he knew how much that affects me. "Beth. God, she's amazing. And funny, and gorgeous."

I swallow, and it feels like my heart is going down my throat. Breathe. I look up at how his caramel brown eyes are sparkling. He's probably thinking about her.

"I mean, how did I get so lucky? Wait, what's wrong?" His smile is gone, now replaced with a frown etched on his beautiful features.

I plaster a fake smile on my face, and wave it off. "Nothing. I'm happy for you, but I'm just... stressed." I half-lie. Yes, I am stressed. But no, I am definitely not happy for him and Beth.

"Look," Kaden removes his arm from around my shoulder, to my disliking. He leans down to be at eye level. "You ace every class. Whatever is going on in that pretty little head of yours, it'll be okay."

I smile. That seems to make him feel better, because Kaden straightens up and we start down the hallway.

  "Dude," Kaden's friend, Preston, walks over to do that weird guy half-hug thing. To me, they look like idiots when they slap their hands on each other's backs.

  Preston acknowledges me by nodding in my direction, his black hair flopping. His blue eyes quickly leave mine to look at Kaden. That's how it normally goes.

  "Hey Kaden! Oh... and, Kaden's best friend. What's her name again?" Then Kaden would tell them for the millionth time, "It's Luce."

  "Oops, gotta go man," Preston says as a group of football players in letterman jackets appear. "Win us that game tonight!" Is the last thing he yells before being lost in the sea of students.

  Kaden rolls his eyes, then continues to walk to class. I'm jealous of his cool demeanor, and the way he can be so friendly so easily, and how perfect he is.

  Yeah, I said perfect. He doesn't have a broken family, like me. Or a fear of losing people, like me.

  I doubt he's in love with his best friend... like me.