Chapter 3

I catch a glimpse of Kaden, chatting with his friends near his locker. My stomach immediately knots, and my heart beats faster.

No.

I keep my eyes trained on the floor as I walk by. Please don't notice me. Please don't notice me.

"Luce! Wait up." Kaden's voice makes me freeze in the middle of the chaotic hallway. It's only been two days, but you don't know how much I missed his voice.

His hand grazes my arm, sending what feels like electricity shooting up. I quickly adjust the glasses I decided to wear today, then face him with a fake smile on my face. "Hey?" I say, sounding surprised.

"You wore your glasses?" He asks, reaching out to touch them. Just as I feel like shrinking up, he adds, "You look cute."

My ears heat up, and I smile at him gratefully. Kaden stares at me with such intensity that it looks like he wants to say something, but decides against it. Instead, he gestures to the direction the cafeteria is, and we walk together.

He knows how much I hate the cafeteria, but always insists on me walking with him. When I ask why, he retorts, "Why can't I spend time with my best friend?" So I've stopped asking.

"How was your weekend?"

I tense up, the memories of the weekend flashing before me. I spent my time in my room, moping around about him. Dad let me borrow his car- 'cause I told him I was going to the library. But, instead, I went to Dairy Queen while listening to music, thinking about him.

"Great." I lie. Knowing he would pick up on it, I ask, "How was yours?"

Kaden blinks three times. My liar radar goes off, and I hold back a laugh. I can read him so well. "Fine." He says simply, staring at the floor.

"Liar, liar, pants on fire." I tease.

He nudges my shoulder, a small smile tugging at his lips. I knew it was only a matter of time before things went back to normal. Kaden examines me with his head turned to the side, which I find adorable. "How can you know?" He asks.

"Oh, sweet child," I start. "A magician never reveals her-"

"I'll get you ice cream." Kaden interrupts, smirking. He knows it's my weakness.

I blink. "You talk really fast when you lie. Your nose scrunches sometimes, and you blink a lot."

Kaden stares at me, his lips slightly parted in shock. His look says it all. 'How can you read me so well?'

"We're best friends." I say, shrugging.

He looks down at the term "best friend", probably since it doesn't feel like we're best friends with all our arguments. Kaden stops in front of the cafeteria. "Bye, Luce. See you after school."

I watch as he briskly walks away, seeming to be in a hurry. Shrugging, I turn and bump into someone. "Sorry," I mumble.

Thomas practically sneers at me. I don't even have time to be afraid, because he snatches my glasses off my face.

The sudden blurriness of the world makes me dizzy, and I take an uncertain step back. His blurry face waves my glasses in front of me teasingly. "Want them? Come and get 'em."

I refuse to be treated like a dog. I bravely stand my ground, even though I'm terrified inside. Please don't break my expensive glasses. Or punch me.

His cruel laughter echoes through the empty hallway. Thomas holds my glasses higher above my head. My patience running thin, I desperately reach for them. He pulls them away from me, amused by my feeble attempt.