Chapter 4

"And... that's disgusting." I grimace.

Jaxon shrugs, continuing to add ketchup to his macaroni and cheese. "It's called creativity."

"Anyway," I shudder. "Why aren't you in the cafeteria? Everyone seems to like your company."

Jaxon smiles, making me relax even though he has terrible taste in food. "I'd much rather be with you. I saw Sarah wasn't here so I figured you wouldn't mind."

I quickly turn away, hiding the blush creeping onto my face. That is true, Sarah's sick. I keep eating my sandwich, watching the students walk around.

  "Why aren't you in the cafeteria?"

  Jaxon's head is tilted to the side, his amber eyes examining mine with curiosity. They switch between my eyes, searching for an answer.

  I swallow nervously. "The cafeteria scares me." I take a deep breath. "It was where I was humiliated for the first time. Now, it terrifies me to even think about going through those doors." A sad smile is all I offer to him.

  "Wow," he sighs, before giving me an adorable lopsided grin. "Hope that chap got what he deserved."

  I laugh, remembering that day. "Yeah. Kaden made sure of that."

  "Kaden's that blonde that always lights up when your name is mentioned?"

  I turn my head so fast I pull a muscle. Wincing, I stare at Jaxon in disbelief. He raises an eyebrow, then casually goes back to eating his disgusting lunch. "We're best friends. Plus, he has a girlfriend." I say.

  "So you're single?" He asks smoothly. My jaw drops slightly, and I look at his smirking face.

  I put a strand of brown hair behind my ear. "Duh. Never even had a boyfriend before."

  "With those adorable freckles?" Jaxon shakes his head, and he's the one that looks shocked.

  I laugh. "I'm pretty anti-social and talking to people stresses me out."

"You seem to be talking to me just fine." He fixes part of his hair that got messed up because of the wind.

  "That's because you're well... you. You're so easy to talk to, it should be illegal."

  Jaxon's eyes light up at the compliment, and another smile erupts on his beautiful features. "Thanks. I'm surprised I can even talk in front of a girl as beautiful as you." He winks.

  I playfully slap his arm. "Not so bad yourself."

  A series of buzzing from my pocket makes me give Jaxon an apologetic look. I pull my phone out to see messages from Kaden.

Is he flirting with you?

  I scoff, then type in a reply.

Wtf? Are you stalking me?

No. I can see you through
the cafeteria window. I'm
waving.

  I scan the windows that are in desperate need of cleaning. Sure enough, Kaden is waving while grinning like an idiot. I can't help but smile back as my stomach somersaults at the sight of him. I give him a questioning look, mouthing 'What?'.

  He doesn't have time to answer because Beth scolds him for tuning out of their conversation. She shoots me an icy glare, then turns away from me. I watch as they argue back and forth, Beth having her arms crossed like a little kid.